Help..Addicted to exercise

Faythe

Cathlete
Hi,
Thank you for such a great forum. I am getting so much from it. I just bought PS Chest/shlds/tri and back/bi. Did not get them just yet, but should this week. I am always looking for more challenging material.
My question is when do you know your over-doing it? People are telling me I'm obsessed with exercise. I kind of agree, but can't help it. I am finally doing it right, eating right (by way of seeing a nutritionist) and exercising 6 times a week. On weekdays I workout 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. I take mondays off to rest. On weekends I workout at least 2 hrs. Yesterday I w/o 3 1/2 hrs and today 2.
I mix it up, I do weight training video's and run on the treadmill and do step aerobics and abs. I lost half the weight I need to and am so motivated. If I didn't have to work I would w/o all morning. I want to get a job in a gym when I reach my goal weight, but that prob. wont be for a few months yet. It took me just under 4 mo's to loose 38.5 Lbs. and I am so motivated in loosing the other 30 or so I have left. I can't stop reading about fitness and even when my body is fatigued (like right now) I am wanting to do another w/o. But I know I can't, my body is too tired and I know I need rest. But when do you know how much is too much???

All that sounds great but you don't want to burn out. Pace yourself. Listen to your body. If you need rest take it, or you could get injured. ,I always tell people exercise is a way of life not a quick fix . Make it part of your life like brushing your teeth. You can workout everyday but some days are lite eg. walk for 45 minutes ,stretch and do some abs. Every other day weights, and step or something like that. I have about 10 of Cathe's tapes and she is the best. Try power hour for a great workout. Good Luck but remember moderation is the key.

smg1

Hi, Faythe -

I think you're very wise to notice the warning signs of exercise addiction, and it does sound like you may have some of the symptoms of it: constant thoughts of exercise, wanting to do a workout even when you're fatigued, wanting to take a job in a gym after you reach your "goal weight", emphasizing scale weight loss, and your phrases "I can't help it" and "I can't stop." These issues may be beyond the reach of us here in the Cathe Forums, but I'd like to offer a couple of thoughts:

"A little is good, a lot is better, and 24/7 is the best of all" does not apply to exercise. Long term overexercising can lead to almost as many physical problems as long term sedentary living does. You could probably reach your goals will less time spent in your workouts;

Please start re-thinking your emphasis on scale-weight loss. Scale weight, IMHO, is the least meaningful of progress determinants, because it does not tell you the composition of the mass lost.

You may want to seek a consultation with a counselor or therapist trained in these issues if you really find that you "can't stop". I think the word "can't" is very operative.

Please take care of yourself, and continue to pay attention to your "warning signs". We're rootin' for you . . .

Annette

You will be fine becasue you are aware of what is going on in your mind. Now it's up to you to master that mindset! I agree that it may take getting help outside of the kind of support you'll find here. Perhaps you should talk to someone who specializes in this type of disorder. In the meantime, take an unplanned rest day and think of ways you can change your workout habits so that you do not put yourself at risk for an overuse injury.

But don't beat yourself up either. You have been losing approximately 2 pounds a week which is in the safe range. You have changed your lifestyle to a healthy one by incorporating exercise and good nutrition. That's alot of positive stuff! Perhaps if you try to look at excessive exercise as a potential roadblock to your sucess, you might be able to overcome the tendancy.

Many years ago when I first discovered I was in love with running I overdid it and developed tendinitis of my right achilles tendon. It was excruciating and it hobbled me! I had to quit running for months because I didn't listen to my body!

I know alot of people who exercise as much as you so. You have goals and you are meeting them. Use the obvious strength and determination you have to nip this before it becomes a real problem. You hold the key!

Good luck and keep us posted. You will find a lot of support here!

Hi Faythe! You have gotten some wonderful advice already and I just wanted to agree that the fact that you are aware of your tendancy to want to over exercise, rather than in denial about it, is already a healthy sign. I have "Faythe" that you will make the wisest decisions for your body. But if you are ever feeling unsure about this, there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking professional counceling. Good luck and train safely!

I definitely overdid the exercise thing last year when training for BB competitions. I was exercising 5 hours a day, 6 days a week. Three of those hours were cardio!!!!!!

My body just plain quit responding. I couldn't sleep. I was always crabby (worse than usual!). My hair, yes even my hair, looked stringy and dry. I was always exhausted. My back hurt so badly that I had to have help to sit up out of bed in the mornings. But still, I kept going.

The thing that made me realize my problem was that I no longer enjoyed the ordinary things of life. My husband and I had a big new house built. I didn't even give a care. Wasn't interested in decorating it (which definitely meant something was wrong with me). Things like taking my child to piano lessons or karate lessons were torture to me because I couldn't be at the gym.

I took the month of December off, could't enjoy Christmas because I was still so exhausted. Then my new year's resolution was to put more variety into my workouts and to make them only part of an otherwise well-rounded life. I started enjoying life again!

Yes, there is a world outside the gym!!!!!!!

Thank You

Thank you all for your advise. I am def. viewing my "life change" as just that, a change in my life and I am kind of an all or none person. I am greatful for the support in this forum and happy I have someplace to go where people understand. I do have one more question: I am trying to plan out a healthy routine, which I am updating and changing weekly. I have one video (from the Firm) which is all lower body (using weights). I just bought 2 of Cathe's tapes which are for upper body (p.s. chest/tri & p.s. back/bi ...abs) and I want to alternate them. I want to work each "muscle group" 2 times a wk. Then if I do that, I would work out with weights 6 times a wk and of corse cardio (running and step) added to that. What would you suggest? I don't want to do weights 6 times a wk really. Wd you recommend chest/tri vdo with back/bi the same day? Is that too much?? I am trying to plan out my routine wisely.
Thanks in advance for all of your help. It is much appreciated!!
Faythe

RE: Thank You

I personally think that those weight tapes should only be done once per week each on non-consecutive days. But concentrate on giving each one your all when you do it.

Then add enough cardio.

But if you start not feeling good, cut back on the cardio.

If you really need something else, try yoga or pilates. Anything to add variety!!!

Variety is the key to healthy exercising.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.