Heart Rate Question

tigerb8

Cathlete
I'm sure there have been endless questions about heart rates but here's another one, ha!
When I exercise I am rarely within my target zone. If I've been within my zone for 20 minutes during a workout it is largely due to the warm up/cool down/ab routines. Whenever I'm working out, whether it be cardio, AWT or pure strength training, I'm usually above my target zone. If I stay within my target zone I'm not hardly doing anything and feel like I've gotten no benefit from the workout. I feel I have to work hard, breath hard, sweat lots to get the greatest benefit of a workout. Now for the qustion: Do you actually burn more fat or gain more muscle or endurance by staying within your target zone? Am I working too hard and therefore hendering my success or shall I continue to push myself to my maximum?

Thanks for your help!
Tracy

I'm sure there have been endless questions about heart rates but here's another one, ha!
When I exercise I am rarely within my target zone. If I've been within my zone for 20 minutes during a workout it is largely due to the warm up/cool down/ab routines. Whenever I'm working out, whether it be cardio, AWT or pure strength training, I'm usually above my target zone. If I stay within my target zone I'm not hardly doing anything and feel like I've gotten no benefit from the workout. I feel I have to work hard, breath hard, sweat lots to get the greatest benefit of a workout. Now for the qustion: Do you actually burn more fat or gain more muscle or endurance by staying within your target zone? Am I working too hard and therefore hendering my success or shall I continue to push myself to my maximum?

Thanks for your help!
Tracy

I am no expert nor am I Cathe but I believe that you burn more fat when working with in your target zone. When you go above it you begin to burn more carbs and when you get to your max you are burning protein. Are you sure that you have yourself within the correct zone? I know I figured out my target training zone but it's probably off because I didn't realize that you should take your RHR (resting heart rate) while still in bed in the morning. I too spend alot of time slightly above my target zone right now. The lower your RHR the higher your Max HR therefore your target HR is also higher. Double check your calculations...that could be the culprit.

HTH.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.