Heart Rate Monitor

LizC7

Cathlete
Hi Cathe
Do you use/recommend a heart rate monitor? If so, which one? Is it only for cardio workouts? Can it be used as a calorie counter in general?
Thanks!
Liz

Not Cathe but I can share my experiences using a heart rate monitor...

I worked out for years without one until last year when my husband bought one for me for mother's day. I wear it every time I workout and I find it helpful for knowing where I am re: intensity. Seeing where my heart rate is on my watch has forced me to stop a few times 'cos it gets really high (scary high sometimes).

Also, I am able to see which workouts are more intense based on my heart rate and it helps me track my calorie burn - if only out of curiosity.

Another thing - I've worn my heart rate monitor a few times both all day and night to see my overall calorie burn (just for curiosity) and I have been able to see how much I burn throughout the day after a cardio workout and after an intense weight training workout. It might not be dead accurate but I learned silly things like: i burn about 400 calories while sleeping for 8 hours, I burn on average 2400 calories/day and on intense weight training days I burn up to 3000 calories (I also walk at lunch most days when it's nice for an hour).

Needless info but it's interesting to know. I'm don't really need to lose weight but I eat a lot and the amount of calories I typically expend each day helped explain why I eat so much!

So, after all this - I wear one probably just outta curiosity and now I'm hooked. It's worth it for me mainly to know that I'm working out at 80%+ which is where I like to be.

P.S. I wear a Polar which was under $200 Cdn

I think they're a great tool for different modes of exercise. If you are just starting to do cardio workouts or ramping them up, remember that as you get more fit you will be able to hit those higher HR's but you will be more efficient in doing so. there are a lot of resources out there but it helps to know what your goals are.

I use HR monitor tho the strap on mine broke yesterday (I duct tape it... LOL!). I like to compare quantitively how hard/easy each workout it. Or if I'm working out too hard or not hard enough. On some days, if I'm tired (lack of sleep, etc), I know being low on the HR is OK... I'm not going to force myself to work too hard.

I also do the guessing game during a workout. Based on my perceived exertion level, I usually can tell the range of my HR... in 130s, 140s, 150s, etc, and I'm usually right!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.