Harder to maintain muscle as we age?

LizO66

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

As I've gotten older (in my mid-40's now), it seems to me that it is much harder to maintain my strength level. I was watching a pro boxing match recently between a younger fighter and an older one - they weighed exactly the same, but the older fighter's muscle tone looked decidedly different than the younger fighter - not as defined and "softer" looking. Is there a physiological reason for this? Or could it be that there is something that I should be doing that I'm not? I'm sure to eat plenty of protein, but it seems that if I don't do weights nearly every day I lose strength. Or am I just crazy?!!

Thanks!
Liz

Hi Liz,

I'm not Cathe, but I've seen this question answered on other fitness sites. As we age, we have to work harder to maintain our muscle mass than when we were younger. The amount of various hormones declines, and some people decrease their activity level. That being said, it certainly doesn't have to be the norm. I'm also in my mid 40's and have more muscle than ever before. Over the past couple of years I have completely changed my style of training. I perform more full body workouts, like kettlebells and weight complexes. I still do cardio, but usually do intervals for shorter periods of time instead of steady state cardio for hours at a time. I think I train smarter, and harder as well. I have no intention of becoming softer as I age, and hope to be able to maintain both my fitness level and muscle mass for many years to come.

I believe Cathe is in her 40's, and she is anything but soft! Nutrition also plays a huge role in body composition, at any age. What we eat is 80% responsible for how we look. Hope this helped answer the question.

I'm 48 and while it's easier for me to put on fat, sad to say, I haven't noticed a problem in keeping my strength/muscles. Actually, I'm probably stronger now than I've ever been in my life. I do think that you have to really pay attention to how you train more than when you are younger, and keep a closer eye on your diet, but I've found that I definitely can maintain my muscles strength.

if I don't do weights nearly every day I lose strength

Well that might be a big part of your problem right there. Are you working the same muscle groups two days in a row? Even if you're doing a split routine, you need to have a rest day for your muscles to recoup since muscles that aren't being directly targeted are still assisting the ones that are.

If you're not giving your muscles enough of a break between working them hard, you'll just run them into the ground and be weaker for it instead of stronger. I'm 37 and have a much better musculature than in my 20s...and it's only getting better even though I only work my upper body a couple times a week for less then an hour at a time. I work like I seriously mean it when I do...not doing this to waste time...but I don't work well if I'm too fatigued from lifting too often.

I think it also helps the healing (strengthening) process that I always do a warm-up/cool-down before the official stretch to get rid of nasty toxins and relax the muscles to prepare them for healthy healing.

Anyway, all to say...maybe you should try a little more rest time and you'll be able to work harder and stronger on your lifting days.

Last edited:
I think the difference for me between my young self and my middle age self(47) is that I have to have more recovery time. I have to listen to when I get tired, and make sure I rest. I have added more flexibility training with yoga. So perhaps you need to make sure you rest.

jansherman - what is your workout routine like, if I may ask? I know it's not a result of overtraining... I was just intrigued, partly due to watching the boxing match I saw.

I agree, Cathe is anything but soft - but I unfortunately don't have the time to commit to working out like Cathe does. She looks fabulous!!

Hi Liz,

My workout is highly varied from day to day, week to week. I normally do 4 days per week of kettlebell training, using videos from Art of Strength and workouts I have designed or "borrowed" from others. I do cardio intervals at least 3 days per week, and usually the intervals are preceded (or sometimes followed) by traditional strength training workouts. I do total body rather than body part splits, as I've found it works better for me. My cardio intervals incorporate of running, elliptical machine, spinning, kick boxing... just depends on what sounds good at 4:30 a.m. :) I try not to work the same body parts in the same way without giving them a day between. Lately I've been doing 20-30 minutes of yoga each night to de-stress.

Jan

jansherman - what is your workout routine like, if I may ask? I know it's not a result of overtraining... I was just intrigued, partly due to watching the boxing match I saw.

I agree, Cathe is anything but soft - but I unfortunately don't have the time to commit to working out like Cathe does. She looks fabulous!!

Are you refering De La Jolla match over the weekend?

No, not Oscar de la Hoya. =[ I watched that fight and it broke my heart. I still love Oscar!!

This was an undercard for a higher profile fight that I viewed a long time ago - may have been before a Tyson or Klitchko fight; I can't remember. I was just struck how similar they were on the tale of the tape, the only real difference being age, and how different the tone or "thickness" of thier muscle mass appeared. He just didn't look 'hard,' if you will.

?? I'll just keep fightin' the good fight!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.