hand arthritis and weight training

genobambino

My doctor just told me I have arthrits in my left thumb. When weight training and gripping the barbell or dumbell, the next day I have constant pain. Advil doesnt help. I was told to get pipe insulation and cut it to fit the handles of my barbell and dumbells. Has anyone tried this or do you have the same health problem and what do you do?? I refuse to give up the weight training but wonder if as I increase my weights, is the problem going to get unbearable??? Thanks. Gene

Hi Gene,
I have arthritis in my right thumb, right at the base for about six months now. I have not noticed that lifting weights has made the condition worse for me but I am not lifting at Cathe's level yet. It doesn't seem as bad when cut my intake of the white stuff, sugar, bread, etc.

Hi Gene,

When I work with clients who have artritis I have found that giving them something large to grab on to, instead of the skiny hard metal dumbbells or barbells helps a lot of them. Personally I use soft foam, that you can find at a fabric store, and just wrap it around until they tell me it's comfortable, and then tie it off with string. But do try different things, and find what one works for you. Everyone is different, and I have notice if I got someone who really likes to grab the weights when they lift, they do complain about more pain, which I just add a few more rounds of foam, until they can't sqeeze down, but still hold onto the weight, and it usually helps the problem. But some don't find that helpful either as it's the actual motion of grabbing the weight and holding it, that is bothersome, and then I just try to use a different type of weight like medicine balls, etc.

Good luck and I hope you find something that allows you to workout pain free.

Kit

I have arthritis in my left thumb too. Don't know if your doctor prescribed anything but mine suggested glucosamine. Of course we all react differently to supplements and such but that has made all the difference in my workouts. I can handle just about anything I need to without making many adjustments. Just a thought. :)

Thank guys!!! I am going to try the foam. I do take the glucosimen (l triple) which really helped my knees when doing squats. I think I will up to 2 triples a day and see what happens. I should tell you too, I am a mailman and carry the mail in my left hand. I know that doesnt help, but you have to make a living. Thanks again. Gene:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.