Half-Marathon

Amysue

Cathlete
Dear Cathe,
I have some training questions requiring your advice. Here's the scenario...I started my sister on a running program back in June. She is now able to run 6 miles (her milestone last week) and has lost 100 lbs. We incorporated running in the morning, your videos in the afternoon (usually either weight training or a combo weights/cardio) and added extra cardio when we had the energy (CTX series).
Now, I'd like to keep her motivated and running. We are planning to do a half marathon the first week in April. I'll be upping her mileage regularly and also will be adding in some pace workouts at least once a week to start. My questions are "Do I stick with weight training only in addition to the running or should we still do some cardio videos?" "Do I still incorporate your killer leg weight workouts while running up to 25 miles and hopefully up to 45 miles a week?" While we want to run the race, we aren't looking to win or even place... just finish. In light of this, we don't want to lose too much hard built muscle while doing all this running.
Any help or insight on our training would be most appreciated. Thanks for all your excellent videos. I am almost positive that being able to complete some of your harder workouts are what allowed my sister to believe that she could run. She looks awesome and I want you to know that YOU helped!
Amy

Hi Amy! Congratulations on your sister's weight loss. Together you two have accomplished some very impressive goals. I wish you continued success.

As for the marathon. Since it is still 5 months away, you can run for the majority of your cardio workouts and do other forms of cardio on your remaining days. Continue to weight train with the weight training videos of your choice.

When you get two to three months before your marathon, you may want to do all running workouts for your cardio and play around with the intensity, duration, and frequency of your workouts on a weekly basis. At this point you can still weight train with any weight video of your choice.

Six weeks to a month before your marathon you may want to focus exclusively on longer distance running for your cardio workouts. If you know the course you will be running has hills then incorporate hills in your training workouts. As for weight training during the last month or so, I would stick with Power Hour two times per week. If you feel extemely fatigued doing this workout, then use lighter weights and maybe only do it once a week.

After the marathon you can go back to cross training with all of your workouts. Good Luck to both of you.

Remember: Never do too much too soon. You don't want to get an injury or a bad case of shin splints before your marathon. Also listen to your body along the way. Do not push yourself to limits if your body is telling you it is not ready or willing to do this.

Do taper in the weeks before the half-marathon, gradually reducing your mileage so that you do no running whatsoever the last few days before the race. You'll have tons of energy for the big day. What an accomplishment! One hundred pounds! Tell your sister she is an inspiration to all of us!

Cathe,
Thank you so much for your advice. I'm going to print it out for reference over the next several months.
My sister Molly will especially like the words of wisdom concerning not doing too much too soon. I am sometimes the boot camp leader and don't let up. But, after finishing sprints today and Bodymax, I'm sure Molly's up for a nice, slow, long run this weekend.
I'll keep you posted on her progress. I am so proud of her and her weight loss. She's an inspiration. So are you...thanks again.
Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.