Goal to teach group fitness class

denisha1

Hello,

I have wanted to teach group fitness classes for years. I am finally to the point that I am getting into shape that my body is a representation of a good fitness instructor. I still have some more lbs to lose and tone up but I am getting close. I know I have to do CPR certification but I was wondering what certification was best between:
Group fitness certification by ACE, AFAA, ACSM

and could anyone recommend any good resource I can use to start obtaining my certification. Once I finish this, I am going to get with my local gym and find out there area of need and start taking certified fitness courses. As you can see this is a goal I have to progressively do but my motto for 2011..Live for You..I am going after my goals and dreams focusing on #1!!

D

I've been teaching group fitness classes for about 15 years and I have both ACE and AFAA group fitness certifications. The only difference between the two is that AFAA has a practical requirement and ACE is multiple choice test only. The AFAA practical consists of each candidate doing demonstrations as a group while usually 1-3 judges with clipboards walk around and take notes as well as individual demonstration.

Also keep in mind, depending on what formats you plan on teaching, neither certification teaches you how to cue, teach on the musical phrase or any detailed structuring of your combinations. The premise of the certifications is ensure that you're gearing your classes to fit the general population safely.

Good luck! I love my job and I think you will too if you're passionate about fitness.

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.