Getting defined arms?

l23

Cathlete
I've lifted weights for many years and haven't see any "real" results. I don't really have a rotation- most weeks I'll do a Bodypump class or muscle endurance video and a cardio workout that includes weights, like Cardio & Weights.

My arms are thin- not much fat- but I don't see much definition unless I flex. I think there's been a tiny increase in tone since I started doing endurance style weight workouts, but that was months ago. I usually don't do heavy weights since I have short arms (I'm 5') and I don't want them to look bulky; I just want definition.

How can I get nice, toned arms??

My options are:
All Cathe tapes
Gym machines
BodyPump class (Tues)

THANKS for any help!

I did the Tank Top Rotation for a while.And it really worked.I think it consist of working your upper body 3 times a week.It was a while ago that I did it.You can go to the Rotation site and find it.
Also if your arms are thin then you could also try doing the Slow and Heavy rotation.I think I have read a few post where peoples arms got bulky from doing slow and heavy.
Hope I helped
Lori

I agree with Lori. On the Rotations page you will find the Tank Top Rotation.

HOWEVER my biggest advice to you is DO NOT BE AFRAID TO LIFT HEAVY. Even when using Cathe's tapes, you want to lift so heavy that you can't finish the last rep of the last set without really grunting. MAKE IT BURN.

If you are looking for arms like Cathe & the girls in her tapes, you have to lift heavy. Now, when I say heavy, I'm currently doing 12 lb dumbbell curls & 23 lb barbell curls when doing the Pure Strength series. So, when I say heavy, I'm not meaning 50 lbs. I mean heavy for you.

Hope that helps you.

Getting definition has more to do with the fat you don't have. Diet is so important, you can have the strongest arm and firmest abs ,but if they're covered in fat you ain't ever gonna see them. As mentioned before, the weight of the lift (bar) is very important. Heavy (alot of the time is better). But it really is down to your diet. You ever seen Karen Voight on her videos, she lifts the icklest weithts you ever seen, 3lbs!!!! I mean, whats that gonna do, sculpt the bone!??! But she is soooo lean that you can see every muscle in her body, and why is she so lean .... diet. Yep, its' true, she is a careful eater. I once heard her talking about her diet and she said she ever eats bread, pasta etc... and makes her food as bad tasting as possile so she doesn't want to eat that much. Now thats healthy for you! lol

ZOINKS!! is that right about Karen V's diet??? Tell us more about what you know on this issue, I'm curious now.

I agree she does do light weights and she looks fab.

I"ve noticed too that lots of long distance female runners are very lean of course and they look quite buff, however, in a sleek way, and I know most of them don't lift a whole lot or real heavy. Matter fact some don't lift at all. I read those running zines and check out the message boards from time to time too. My late hubby was a avid runner and didn't lift much and he was buff, but thin, lean.

I absolutely agree that you shouldn't be afraid to lift HEAVY (whatever that is for you). Cathe kept saying it over and over to me in Pure Strength and I finally caved and by pushing myself and working out consistently with Cathe, I lost 30 lbs. and my only cardio was taekwondo. I cannot agree with Cathe more when she says, "Do not be afraid of lifting heavy weights. They do nice things for you." HOW TRUE!

And, YES, the Tank Top Rotation WORKS!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.