Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Ask Cathe

Ask Cathe This is a forum to ask Cathe Friedrich a question. Cathe can't answer every post, but will try to answer as many as possible.

Is gaining weight ever a good thing?

This is a discussion on Is gaining weight ever a good thing? within the Ask Cathe forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; I've started X-Train (starting week 5) and I gained two pounds. My legs feel stronger and I think my glutes ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By SNM Videos
  • 1 Post By Stebby
  • 4 Post By fit44
  • 1 Post By Swimmer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Catheite

Default Is gaining weight ever a good thing?

I've started X-Train (starting week 5) and I gained two pounds. My legs feel stronger and I think my glutes have filled out a bit (not a bad thing at all) so is it ok to gain weight during these workouts? I'm not eating more - same diet so I don't think that's it.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default Water Weight Gain

Your body weight will fluctuate throughout the day and throughout the month by several pounds because of temporary water weight gain and for numerous other reasons, but always remember this to help keep your sanity:

The only way to gain weight (excluding temporary water weight) is to consume more calories than you burn. All forms of exercise burn calories and thus can't contribute to weight gain. It doesn't matter if you lift light or super heavy weights you will burn calories and you will lose weight if your're consuming less calories than you're burning.

You can find several articles in our Blog on this topic:

1. Cathe Friedrich - 5 Reasons Why Weight Fluctuates Day to Day

2. Cathe Friedrich - Weightlifting Myths Debunked

3. Cathe Friedrich - Weight Gain Myths

Last edited by SNM Videos; 01-29-2013 at 04:17 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Catheite

Default Thank you!

Extremely helpful - great read! I can relax!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Default Is it really that simple?

I wonder if it is really that simple? Are there other factors like hormones and or chemical imbalance? I have lost 2 clothing sizes but not one pound? What the heck? Doesn't metabolism have a lot to do with it also? Anyway, I feel like I am doing everything right but I am not losing at all
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Cathlete
Stebby's Profile Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey33 View Post
I wonder if it is really that simple? Are there other factors like hormones and or chemical imbalance? I have lost 2 clothing sizes but not one pound? What the heck? Doesn't metabolism have a lot to do with it also? Anyway, I feel like I am doing everything right but I am not losing at all
Mickey, that most likely means that you are losing fat and putting on muscle. 1 lb of muscle is smaller than 1 lb of fat, so you can stay the same weight but be smaller and leaner. Your weight is staying the same because your calories in are balanced with your calories out. All in all, I would say it is a good thing! You are changing your body composition for the better!

Stebby
mini-natty likes this.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Cathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey33 View Post
Why do you want to lose scale weight when your clothing size has gone down? I would say you are doing great to add muscle while losing fat. Most people lose both, and that's not good. Muscle is what gives you shape! Throw your scale out, and use a tape measure.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Thanks ladies. For me I have been fighting to get under this one weight amount for over a year now. I know it is just a number but that number represents a huge difference to me. I would be so happy to just get below that and then just workout happily to maintain. Last year I was here and didnt do anything. This last year of busting my butt feels so worth nothing because the scale reads the same. I just become defeated.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Cathlete

Mickey -- Fitt44 is a smart cookie. Stay off the scale. I refuse to get on the scale, even during my annual physical. As long as my clothes fit and I feel good, I don't worry about it. ENJOY your workouts and your strong body.
sjane likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Catheite
backer65's Profile Fields

Thumbs up Listen to the smart Cathletes

very wise ladies; I agree.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Cathlete
josiespcah6ojsh's Profile Fields

when i weighed 127 i wore a size 6.now i'm 144 and wear a size 6.I dont look any different

laura