form question on specific exercise in GS legs

fontanic

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and educated crowd. I did GS legs for the first time yesterday, and I have a form question about the barbell stiff legged deadlifts on high step. As with the regular stiff legged deadlifts, do I keep my shoulders pressed back so they dont roll forward. It looked like Cathe was extending her shoulders at the bottom of the move to reach out and beyond the step. If I keep my shoulders pressed back, I can't reach the barbell down to level of the step and I am not sure I am getting the maximum benefit of the exercise. Also, should my legs stay locked straight or slightly bent at the knee and does it matter? I would be very thankful for form pointers on this specific exercise off the high step. Thank you.

This is a very advanced move, and one that most people probably shouldn't attempt; only those with very good flexibility.
I noticed that Cedie has bad form on the first few of these, as well as Cathe. Rounding the back puts one at risk for back injury, because it takes the stress off the muscles, which can handle it, and onto the vertebrae.

Legs shouldn't be locked, but can be straight, with a slight softness in the knee.

I don't do this exercise--at least not attempting to go down as far as they do--because I don't see that the benefit outweighs the risk.

If you decide to continue to do the move, your form sounds just fine. You should only go down as far as you can without starting to round the back (as on all deadlifts), which you are doing.

I agree with Kathryn. I do GS Legs quite often. When this workout first came out, I did injure myself with this particular exercise. It seemed to pull in my lower back. It hurt for about a week.

Needless to say, I no longer do this particular exercise, I just repeat the dead lift with the 2# weight with the toes lifted up.

I will never forget the feeling when my back got pulled. so, be careful with this exercise. I have quite strong hamstrings and much flexibility also, but find this one difficult and not worth an injury!

Cheryl

thanks kathryn,

it seems that Cathe stresses keeping the shoulders pulled back everytime she performs deadlifts. I dont remember hearing that during this exercise, so i didnt know if i should extend my reach at the bottom. i did have to go back and lower the weight on my bar because it didnt feel quite "right".

My hamstrings are very flexible, but I also have trouble with this move and also just repeat the version from the previous set.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.