forearms, work zone, and stretching with a step

wendyloo

Cathlete
Hi Cathe. Hope you are hanging in there. :'(

A few questions for you:
1. My forearms are toast after doing the reverse curls and wrist curls in Slow and Heavy. (I did an extra set on both exercises because I'd like to increase my strength in this area.) Sometimes I feel like I could go heavier with biceps if my forearms were only stonger. Is doing an extra set the way to go? Should I add these exercises more frequently into my week after I go off Slow and Heavy? Should I go heavier and do only one set, or keep it medium and do two sets? I'm not sure if I want strength or endurance--Probably endurance...

2. Can I keep in my work zone when doing side lateral raises ( in S&H and other videos)? I figure the answer is yes, but I'm wondering if I am cutting the range of motion short if I don't bring the weights all the way back to the center on the downward part of the movement. I feel it so much more if I only release the weights so that they stay on the outside of my legs/sides--several inches outside, in fact.

3. I've noticed that in some of your step videos you tell us to move the step out of the way to do stretches, while in others we use the step for support as we stretch (i.e. when doing the hipflexor stretch, on hand is on the step for support). Can I chose either way, or is it more current thinking that we should use the step for alignment reasons?

Thanks for you valuable time, Cathe. :)

Wendy

Hi Wendy! If you feel your forearms could use some more strengthening and/or conditioning, sure you can continue doing these exercises any time you like. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Try varying it and doing lighter and longer reps for a couple of workouts, then heavier and shorter reps for another couple of workouts.

The short lever side lateral raise is a little less advanced than the long lever option. Choose the one that you like and continue with it. Occasionally you may want to do the other for some variety. As far as range of motion, each exercise has its own range of motion and works fully within it. Full range of motion for the short lever raise is from the elbow bent 90 degrees at your side position all the way up to elbow parallel to the floor. The full range of motion for a long lever lateral raise would be from the arm down at the outside of the hip position all the way up until the arm is parallel with the floor.

Stretching is acceptable in all forms. You may use the step as either assistance for stability or as a prop to enhance a stretch, or simply use no step at all. It is all a matter of preference.

Good Luck :)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.