Foot pain - Cathe what was your experience?

Jul

Cathlete
Cathe, I remember reading awhile back that you experienced foot pain. I've tried searching, but I'm coming up empty.

I'm having a lot of pain on the ball of my foot in the center under my toes. It sounds very much like plantar faciitis, but in a different location. It is too painful to walk without shoes and bothers me all the time when walking. However, when I wear my workout shoes, it feels much better and I can still do your aerobics (step not floor) as long as I land on my whole foot and not just the front. Does this sound like anything you've ever heard of? It's been bad for about 2 weeks and shows no signs of disappearing.x(

Any help would be appreciated!
Jul

Hi Jul!

Actually my foot condition is Achilles Tendonitis. What you are describing sounds very different, other than the way that you describe how you have to land on your foot when you exercise in order for it not to hurt so much. And yes, I too felt better in my workout shoes as opposed to bare feet.

I personally feel that when you get to the point that you have to alter how you land in a workout, it is definitely time to have it looked at by a doctor(podiatrist). Otherwise you are inviting compensation injuries to your already existing one.

In the meantime you may want to visit a website, foot.com (look under foot conditions) and see if you can at least find a condition that may relate to your pain. But, of course, this should absolutely not replace a visit to the doctor. Here is one of the foot conditions I looked up for you based on your pain location. Hope it helps! Take good care and good luck!

METATARSALGIA (Ball-of-foot pain)

Metatarsalgia is a general term used to denote a painful foot condition in the metatarsal region of the foot (the area just before the toes, more commonly referred to as the ball-of-the-foot). This is a common foot disorder that can affect the bones and joints at the ball-of-the-foot. Metatarsalgia (ball-of-foot-pain) is often located under the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsal heads, or more isolated at the first metatarsal head (near the big toe).

With this condition one or more of the metatarsal heads become painful and/or inflamed, usually due to excessive pressure over a long period of time. It is common to experience acute, recurrent, or chronic pain with this common foot condition. Ball-of-foot pain is often caused from improper fitting footwear, most frequently in women’s dress shoes and other restrictive footwear. Footwear with a narrow toe box (toe area) causes the ball-of-foot area to be forced into a minimal amount of space. This can inhibit the walking process and lead to extreme discomfort in the forefoot.

Other factors can cause excessive pressure in the ball-of-foot area that can result in metatarsalgia. These include shoes with heels that are too high or participating in high impact activities without proper footwear and/or orthotics. Also as we get older, the fat pad in our foot tends to thin out, making us much more susceptible to pain in the ball-of-the-foot.

The first step in treating metatarsalgia is to determine the cause of the pain. If improper fitting footwear is the cause of the pain, the footwear must be changed. Footwear designed with a high, wide toe box (toe area) and a rocker sole are ideal for treating metatarsalgia. The high, wide toe box allows the foot to spread out while the rocker sole reduces stress on the ball-of-the-foot.

Unloading pressure to the ball-of-the-foot can be accomplished with a variety of footcare products. Orthotics designed to relieve ball-of-foot pain usually feature a metatarsal pad. The orthotic is constructed with the pad placed behind the ball-of-the-foot to relieve pressure, and redistribute weight from the painful area to more tolerant areas. Other products often recommended include gel metatarsal cushions and metatarsal bandages. When these products are used with proper footwear, you should experience significant relief.

If problem persists, consult your foot doctor.

I think Cathe is right--you need to see a podiatrist. It sounds
a lot like Morton's Neuroma, which I found out last winter that I have. There are many online sources that can help, but seeing
a doctor is your best bet. Of course everyone responds differently to treatment depending on severity of the injury, cause of the problem, etc. Your pain is telling you that something is wrong, please don't ignore it. Good luck!

[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

I was thinking neroma as I read your note and Betsy confirmed my thought. I had a neroma l0 years ago on my left foot & had surgery to remove the bad nerve. I wore a special shoe for approx. 2 weeks. Afterwards, I wore tennis shoes for almost six months and no heels over an inch were allowed. The doctor tried cortizone shots but they didn't do anything. I have a 2 inch vertical scar on the top of my foot between my 2& 3rd toe. The surgery worked for me and the pain has never returned in that foot. It comes and goes in my right foot. I'm hoping they can do the surgery w/ a laser now??

After writing my previous note, I went to www.foot.com and there is an article about Morton's neromas under foot conditions. You may want to read it so that you're more informed upon talking to your doctor. There is a list of foot problems since a neroma may not be yours. I know its mine. ok... just wanted to share the website. Oh, I counted wrong, its the 3rd and 4th toes... I always go from right to left. good luck.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-01 AT 01:34PM (Est)[/font][p]Just a suggestion before you see a doctor: ice the bottom of your foot 2-3 times a day for 20 minutes or so, take ibuprofen, avoid higher impact for awhile, and wear shoes with the widest toebox that you can find. I remember very well the pain caused by just walking barefoot. You need to reduce the inflamation and it will feel better. Take care.

RE: Foot pain - Betsy, What was your experience?

Betsy, I'm curious, Did you have the surgery last year? If yes, how long did recovery take you? Meaning, when were you able to start working out again? I remember having to stay off my foot for about a week and keeping it elevated to avoid swelling. Its been a long time since my surgery and my memory is a little fuzzy. I'm thinking it was a good month before I eased back into exercising and a full year until my foot felt normal. I remember it swelling if I walked a lot. Did you have that experience? I'm dreading having to go thru it again but I know eventually I'll have to do it. I'd appreciate hearing how you fixed your neroma and about your recovery. Do they use laser now? Also, did you checkout the recommended shoes? lol . . I'd opt for surgery. ugh!!

Actually, I haven't had surgery. I have tried to manage my neuroma(s-I have one in each foot)without it, but there are times when it looks mighty appealing. Initially, the problem built up over the course of a few weeks and then, I started feeling acute pain doing a step tape, didn't stop (like I should have-dumb me)and was in PAIN for a couple of weeks. It was a slow recovery. I was afraid that I wouldn't ever be able to do my tapes again, but it did get better. My podiatrist gave me alcohol injections, explained my options, and let me make the decision whether or not to have surgery. I also found out a lot over the internet. Some peoples experiences with surgery were not good, so I guess it scared my away from it. It is funny because running does not bother my feet at all, but step does. I haven't quite figured that out. Anyway, I will keep trying to manage this way until I get sick of it and then have the surgery. I had bunion surgery 7-8 years ago and the recovery for this seems like it would be a piece of cake compared. Did you have your surgery done by a podiatrist or a ortho surgeon? I have thought of getting checked out by an ortho just to get another opinion. I may do that yet. Sorry this is so long. I haven't heard of any laser surgery for neuromas, just for plantar faciitis(sp). It would be great if they could just blast the things:). Do you have any numbness in your toes from your last surgery?

I had a podiatrist do my surgery & have had no problems w/ that foot since. The first year, my toes had about an inch separation between them but they look normal now. I had numbness & swelling for the first year, but not anymore. It took a good year for my foot to become normal again. I remember wearing tennis shoes, w/ dresses, to work for a long time. I had no other choice because of the swelling. My right foot started acting up about a year ago and its getting to the point of where I think I'll have to do surgery again. I dread it but the pain is getting worse. I sometimes have the tingling type pain just sitting. I can't imagine having neromas in both feet at the same time. Does your doctor want to do both feet at the same time? That will be tough but better to get it done in one surgery. I feel sorry for you. At least I had l0 years between mine. After surgery, my foot was black & blue and about 4 times bigger than normal. I remind myself, it will be temporary. Surgery worked for me the first time..but I dread doing it again. Surgery is never fun..(think-temporary!)Good luck and let me know what you do.

Thank you VERY, VERY MUCH to Cathe and everyone! I am heading to the site right now. The surgery thing sounds incredibly scary. It makes me cringe! I'll let you know if I can self-diagnose!;-)

You Guys are so smart!

Yep - I think I have Morton's Neuroma. It's kind of strange that I can sometimes sort of "click" my bones in that area and get instant relief. Now I am assuming that what I do is move stuff around in there enough to take the pressure off of the nerve. EEEKS! I'm off to search for more info.

Thanks a bunch everyone! Cathe, foot.com is a great site.

Jul, I can do that too with my left foot.(nfm)

NFM

RE: Jul, I can do that too with my left foot.(nfm)

My school's athletic trainer looked at it today and said that it definitely is Morton's neuroma. He recommended sticking it in a bucket of ice three times a day, using aspirin, and staying off of it for awhile. This is the wrong time of year to ask someone to cut back on exercise!!:-mad

RE: Jul, I can do that too with my left foot.(nfm)

Sounds like good advice from the trainer. You know you can still do weight training sitting or lying down so it doesn't have to be a total waste. But I know what you mean. No cardio this time of year makes it rough to keep the pounds away with all the good eating. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.