Fit male encounters severe muskoskeletal issue and needs new workout routine

tasmark

Help! 47 year old male in good health, works out 4-6 times per week, has encountered a significant set-back via a severe muskosskeltal injury. Five + weeks of doctor visits, physical therapy and now chiropractic sessions is finally starting to show some progress but now need to revise a fitness routine, apparently one that needs to involve yoga.

I have been a tradition fitness person relying on weight training and stationary bike riding to maintain fitness. Yoga is something I would not ever have imagined I would incorporate but the chiro is recommending it to help continue my path back to pain free workouts. I purchased the foam roller kit which referred me to this site so am looking for some beginning help on how to get started. Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

My sympathies! I had a nasty fall in October, resulting in a back injury, and it's a long road back.

Your PT and physician are of course your best guide, since what is occurring in your own body may be unlike mine. For what it is worth, I had eight weeks of no-travel, no extended sitting, and only fluid motions (a modified version of Qi Gong entirely worked for me - yoga put far too much strain on my back). Absolutely no cardio - no jumping. Foam roller was impossible (too sore). Gradually I added in very light lower body weights, partial squats and partial lunges. Then, I added in bodyweight only "lower chain" squats and returned to walking the dogs outdoors for half an hour a day. About then, the foam roller became an option and I bought a Trek Desk so that I could work longer hours, but standing/walking. That has added a mile or two of extra walking each day.

Late last month I started doing full range squats/lunges for lower body, fewer reps but at my old 90% 1RM (carefully). I also added in light upper body weights. Those were harder because of the torque. This month, I'm doing judicious back/chest-specific work (deadlifts and pushups). I can also do cardio if it doesn't include plyo. Upper body is now at about 80% of where I was in October.

The key for me has been tostart with mobility, add a little weight to it for strength (4-6 reps), extend the reps (working from 6-12), stay there a little while for endurance, then add more range of motion, increase the weight, and repeat. Rather than the STS cycle of once a week per part, I'm doing once every nine days to allow for full rebuilding of the muscle. I'm working "bottom to top" so as to build a good base.

I'm about your age, female, was likewise in very good shape (squats were 160-170 pounds) ... I wish you all the best!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.