Extra skin in abdominal area.

fitnessfever

I have had three children, the youngest of whom is now seven. I have been working out consistently now for 4 years but still seem to have a lot of loose skin in the abdominal area. I started out at about 180 pounds (I'm 5'3") and am now 135 pounds. Is there anything I can try to continue to tighten that skin up, or am I stuck with it from all the stretching during pregnancy? Any ideas? I use your videos almost everyday doing cardio 4-5 times per week and weights 2 times each week. I change up the tapes I do regularly. Anything specific you can think of that I can try! Thanks!

justme

HI justme,
I am not Cathe and I don't have 3 kids:) BUt I am the same height as you, I weigh a little less(not much) and I have a 7 yr old.The only one I have has of now.
I have often wondered the samething as you.I have stretch marks on my stomach, proof that the skin is not the way it use to be.First when she was born I got back into my prepregnacy clothes.I was also only 17.Makes a difference when you are really young.Then I went to college met my husband and packed on 15 pounds.I found Cathe started working out and it seemed over those 2-3 yrs everything went right back to normal again.My stomach did get relatively flat.
Recently I have gained about 7 pounds.Within the last yr.So it seems like the pooch is back to haunt me.Somedays when I look at my belly I wonder if I could ever have muscles that you can see. I can also remember being sick(maybe hungover:+ )and after not eating my stomach was just like a wall.I have also been looking through my BFL book and have noticed some of the transformation.Most of the ladies have stretch marks in the before pitcure and in the after pitcure there mid sections are awesome.
I think anything is possible.We are all different so no one knows how long it will take.Grant it, after having 3 children it maybe harder then just having one.I also think that we need to spice up our ab work every now and then.The plank work in the new series are awesome.I haven't done enough of them to notice results yet.
The other thing I would think is to reduce body fat even futher.As women we tend to store any fat we have around our mid section and thighs.I feel the best when I am around 122lbs.I weighed yesterday and I was 129.5}(
I don't know if I helped you much and it would be nice to hear Cathes point on this.But when you said you have been working out for as long as I have,have a child whose 7,your height and weight.I was thinking,that's me!Good luck to us both! The only thing is, you will get your flat belly, so will I and then I will get pregnate, while your not!
Good luck,
Lori

Good morning justme:
I have also had three kids, one in my teens, one in my early twenties and one in my thirties. I am a size 3,5, or 6 and petite, I weigh around 125-27-30 somewhere in there, 5 foot 3-4 (on a good day!). I have been working out with Cathe since the birth of my last child 4 and 1/2 years ago. My poochie tummy wouldn't budge for a long time, yoga helped some. I just purchased the intensity series and have started seeing some great results. I am taken aback every time I look in the mirror. I have began getting actual definition in my upper abs and the little fat/skin around my lower body is actually tightening up. I can hardly believe it because I have consistently worked for 12 years and my stomach has never looked this good. I don't know if it is the ball, the weight Cathe uses or what but I am seeing changes!
Thanks Cathe!

I have a 7 yr old boy too and since doing the Ab work on the Intensity series, my stomach is totally flattening out and I am seeing definition...FINALLY!

I am on a CTX rotation right now, but I add on the Ab work from the Intensity Series. It really works!!!

Danielle :+

I don't have any children, but I'm 5'5" and about 130-135 with a medium frame. I lost 80-85 lbs over the past 2 years. I also have excess skin (mine is from being so overweight), and that's where I have a big tendency to store fat. I have asked my doctor about how to get rid of it. Aside from seeing how much my skin "firmed up" naturally due to the elasticity of the skin itself, and doing regular abdominal exercises (I do one of Cathe's ab workouts 5 days/week), there is not much you can due aside from a surgical procedure.

The doctor said that while maintaining my weight, my skin will firm up as much as it naturally will after 6 months at that same weight. That time has passed, and it's not as bad as it was. However, I was down to about 120 lbs last summer, and the skin was really, really flabby. (Better to be a bit heavier, I reasoned - hee hee!).

Anyway, that's what I've found. Even though the ab muscle underneath is really hard from working out (I can feel it), there's still the excess skin on top. I don't think any workout can combat that. It's just the way it is. I've considered a tummy tuck, but since I have not yet had children, and potentially plan to, it's not a very viable option right now.

Kate

Hi Justme! Your genetics as well as the amount of kids, the amount of weight gained, etc. will determine just how much your skin will return to its pre-pregnant state. This is definitely one area that is tough to change, and you can DEFINITELY make improvements but keep in mind that you may always still have a section that remains lose after all of your efforts. And you know what? That's totally ok. Do not obsess. Simply do the very best you can and then move on. Your healthy, your fit, and thats what counts:)

Here are some things you can try to shock your current workouts and provoke a new response from your abs as well as your overall metabolism.

Have you tried the new core work in the intensity series? I purposely created these workouts to provide a wide variety of ab exercises to jolt you out of your comfort zone.

Insert one high intensity interval workout per week in place of one of your standard aerobic workouts.

Include one cardio activity that is completely new to your current routine. So if you don't run, try running, if you don't spin, try spinning etc.

Finally, as always, try to eat the most clean diet possible.

Keep up the great work!
Cathe

RE: Extra skin in abdominal area-more questions

Hi, Reading this thread I've been thinking too "this is me". I am almost 47 have 2 kids, l4 and 7.5. First was a c-section and second was a vbac, which I am very proud of . He was also 9.6 lbs. I am 5.3 and weigh around 132. I have some weight to lose but I've really firmed up alot, EXCEPT, the baby belly. It is really made of skin, IMO, not fat.

Cathe, your advice is extremely helpful. You are such a pro.

I am more of an intermediate, sometimes advanced exerciser and wanted to get CTX next month and probably VOL 1 of the dvd intensities. However, where is the best ab work on the intensities? Can I use sub the abwork from CTX? Or does Vol 1 have it?

Can you or anyone clarify?

Bonnie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.