Exercising after a head injury

LorrieS

I was supposed to start week 5 of STS this week, but I got a concussion over the weekend. The doctor says not to do anything strenuous until about a week after my headache goes away. My question is if I have to take a 2 or 3 (or possibly 4) week break, can I pick up where I left off or should I start the STS from the beginning?
Thanks

Lorrie, as you were just beginning Meso 2, I think you can just start Meso 2 over, depending on how you feel. Or you could do a couple of weeks of mixing it up - some Meso 1, some Meso 2, even some other workouts, just to get yourself back in the water, so to speak. Make sure you're feeling okay first; gauge how you react to different work outs. Sometimes you need to ease back into things, so I wouldn't just dive right back in. Good luck.

Dear Lorrie

I'm not Cathe, I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I actually came to Cathe and STS after my own head injury.

Depending upon the severity of your concussion, four weeks of recovery sounds about right. Nausea, headache, fatigue, dizziness and balance/coordination issues will be your guide. I eased into it very slowly, doing only 30 min of weight lifting a day and walking. Yoga helped a lot, but I had to be very careful with inverted poses.

With STS you might want to start with Meso 2 just because there is less equipment change - therefore less bending over, again, you will need to go slowly....you might even consider doing one body part a day.

Don't do too much too soon.

I thought I was better after one week, I went shopping with my boys and ended up sitting right down on the floor in the middle of the Macy's men's department....too sick to stand. It scared the bejeezus out of them.

Please take care of yourself.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.