Exercise after knee surgery

kittycat

Cathlete
HI Cathe -
I love you exercise DVD's. I've been using them for years. I had knee surgery in July for some pretty bad damaged cartilage in my r knee. Since then, I have not been able to do much. I just started walking without my crutches for short distances and working upper body with weights. Question is, without using that r knee, what can I do to maintain without losing muscle/gaining fat. I can't even swim because I don't have the range of motion for kicking. And I don't want to build up my upper body, just keep it firm. I realize that diet is going to be a huge part of this since I can't do cardio. Knowing that you had surgery too, any suggestions? I would appreciate any help! It's going to be hard to get those new DVD's and just watch them...
Thank you!
Kittycat

Hi Kittycat! Sorry to hear about your knee. The first thing you really need to do, if you have not already, is get clearance from your doctor to be doing weight bearing activities. If he/she is fine with that, then I personally found the rehab exercises to be plenty challenging enough to keep my legs toned for several weeks after surgery. I see that you say that you have just started walking without your crutches, which leads me to believe that you are still at the point where rehab exercises are quite challenging and necessary.

As for upper body, I went through the gym from bench to bench with my crutches and had a friend bring the weights to me. I also used a lot of machines at this time since it didn't require me to have weights brought to me. I don't think you need to do anything outside of your normal upper body weight routine to keep your upper body toned. If you come across an exercise that you can't do because of your knee (ie: perhaps push ups) then do a bench press as a substitute move.

Yes, you're right, your diet is critical right now. You do not have the ability to run, walk, bike, etc. at a level that you would need to burn extra "splurge" calories. Therefore, every calorie that you eat counts. Make sure they are good quality calories. Calories that bring you energy to support your daily activity and healing, not empty or excessive calories that will store as fat if they are unable to be worked off.

Hope this helps. Take care, good luck, and please don't rush the healing :)

Un-un-un-real. When most people can't get off the couch to even fit in a workout, Cathe is going around the gym on crutches, having weights handed to her.

Cathe, you bring the word "inspiration" to a whole new level. Keep on rocking...you continue to amaze and inspire. Thanks for everything.

I was just going to ask the same question, so thanks for asking it for me!! Cathe, thanks for the good answer. I had plica removal 08/31 and my dislocated kneecap put back. My Dr had me up walking (limping) around the same day, no crutches allowed. I am now in PT, felt so much better after just 1 time. I'm allowed to bike, walk, and minimal yoga depending on the pose. Also allowed to swim, but no pool access and I cant swim in the bathtub. I have been trying to maintain some upper body strength as well. I am no where near as strong as Cathe and prob most of you, but I tried to do some push ups today and about died after 10 of them. But I am sure it will come back. I normally use weights in the 10-12 lbs range (wimp) but had a bit of a struggle with 8lbs today. I'm just trying to maintain and will go back to improving after I'm all the way healed. Trying to watch what I eat, too. But, tonight is break night. Have a date w/ my hubby tonight (rare) and going to a new wine and cheese shop and a really tasty italian restuarant for dinner. Quite honestly, I plan to eat til my zipper wont zip and someone has to roll me out the door. Back on track tomorrow. I've actually lost a few lbs in the last few wks, I'd like to tell myself its bc I've been eating so well and trying so hard, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking it's from muscle loss, and I don't want that!! So, I'm just focusing on getting better and maintaining. Dr and PT says if it hurts, dont do it. And Dr told me if I go too hard now and hurt myself again, I may just REALLY mess things up permanantly.

Thank you Cathe! You're always an inspiration! No PT for me yet. But I can finally walk in a flat, heated pool. Now, if I can just find one! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.