Elbows Hurt!

Amysue

Cathlete
Dear Cathe,
Hope you had a fabulous vacation! I'm anticipating a great trip to Italy in 3 weeks! Can't wait!
My question is regarding my elbows which visibly hyperextend. This causes me problems when it is necessary to keep your elbows stabilized i.e. overhead extensions, etc. When they start to hurt, I usually lighten my weight. This works, but I feel as if my muscle could handle more weight, just not the old elbows. Do you know if investing in some wraps would help? Or should I just stick to lighter weights? Any advice would be appreciated. I feel as if my muscle development is being hindered by this problem.
Have a great weekend!
Amy

Finally! Someone with my same problem!
Not that I would wish it on you Amy, but I have the exact same problem & have never found any real advice...most such advice centers on the knees...with good reason, of course, but it doesn't happen to be my problem! (or yours!)
I too feel that I am sacrificing muscle growth to protect my elbows. I know I can use heavier weight, I have done it. But then when it starts to hurt, I have to lower the weight like you do. I sure hope Cathe can offer some suggestions. Thanks for bringing it up.
Ruth :)
p.s. Italy?!! Woohoo!! Have a GREAT trip!

Ruth,
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone! I can lift heavier weight also. But like you, when my elbows start to hurt, I move to a lighter weight.
Yes, Italy! We are going to climb in the Dolomites for two weeks. I'm really excited! Hope my elbows hold out!
Amy

I've been waiting for a reply too since I have the same problem. Please, if anyone knows the answer, or can help, please let us know!

Thanks!

Count me in on the elbow problem...

I reached that point this past weekend when I heavied up in the S&H series. My limitation was my elbow, not my shoulders.

-joy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.