EATING CLEAN QUESTION

ckanuckel

Cathlete
Cathe, I was wondering what your average day of eating is, or anyone else can answer this. I'm sure some people's idea of eating clean is way different than others, so just curious how far off I am on what my ideas are

I'm interested in this as well! To get the ball rolling, I thought I would post what I typically eat. Let me preface this by saying I do NOT eat 100% clean. I tried jumping "all in" to clean eating after Christmas, and after about a week my body (or mind?) rebelled (let's just say one weekend included pizza, taco bell, sonic, milkshakes, etc.). For me, i'm attempting to create a healthy lifestyle which involves balancing health eating, fitness, and my sanity. I've had a decent base for the past few years (no soft drinks, wheat bread, skim milk, rare fast food) but lately i've been trying to clean up my diet more by cutting out processed food (I've had a strong relationship with Hamburger Helper and surgary cereals for years). It has REALLY made a difference!! That last 10-15 pounds is starting to FINALLY come off. Okay, here's what I typically eat:

Pre-Workout (5:15 am): 1/2 banana (if i'm lifting, I also add a 1-2 tsp of natural PB)

Post-Workout/In Car Driving to Work: 1/2 banana (from earlier) or 1 home made graham cracker with a tiny bit peanut butter and jelly (depends on how hungry I am).

Breakfast: Oatmeal (weekdays), Frittata with lots of veggies, carob blueberry pancakes, green smoothie
***I HATE plain boring oatmeal. I tried to make the oatmeal Tosca Reno talks about in the Clean Eating Diet Recharged and I just couldn't handle it day in and day out. I get most of my recipes from www.ohsheglows.com and they are amazing! I've had sweet potato oatmeal, apple pie oatmeal, carrot cake oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, etc.

Morning Snack: Candidly, I usually eat such a large bowl of oatmeal that I don't always want a morning snack (I know this is bad). If I am hungry, my morning snack usually includes a piece of fruit- right now i'm into oranges - and an egg white.

Lunch: Here are some things i've eaten the past few weeks (note - if I have a sandwich I also add veggies on the side)
(1) leftovers (of course)
(2) salad (my favorite is lime/black bean/avocado/tomato/corn with home made salsa, cilantro, and woven wheat crackers from Whole Foods)
(3) whole wheat pita with 2 oz of chicken, spinach, tomato, and a tiny bit of light miracle whip (I know, another big no no, but it makes me happy and i'm not completely falling off the healthy wagon by adding 1 tsp of miracle whip)
(4) wheat french bread topped with arugula, 1 slice of prosciutto, tomato, and a tiny bit of EVOO and balsamic vinegar - all toasted in a toaster oven or panini maker.
(5) finger foods - I take a tupperware container and fill it with broccoli, carrot sticks, 2-3 slices of low sodium turkey, 1-2 slices of low fat cheese, grapes, and cherry tomatoes.

Afternoon Snack: My favorites include (1) cottage cheese with a pinch of flax seed and 3-4 peach slices, (2) handful of nuts + small piece of fruit (ex. kiwi), (3) apple with chocolate natural PB and (4) trail mix.

Dinner: I love to cook so I experiment with dinner a lot and what I eat each week varies tremendously. Here are some ideas. As you will see, I find many of my recipes online.
(1). Taco Chili (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/turkey-chili-taco-soup.html)
(2). Grilled chicken breast, scalloped tomatoes, green beans, roasted carrots
(3). Citrus tilapia, corn, smashed parm potatoes
(4). Meatless baked spaghetti (found on Cathe's website) + a small salad (depending on hunger)
(5). Chicken and Dumplings (www.graciouspantry.com)
(6). Avocado pasta (www.ohsheglows.com)
(7). Turkey, Apple, and Cheese quesadilla (I think from self.com)
(8). Red quinoa and black bean salad (www.ohsheglows.com)
(9). Soup, soup and more soup - vegetable, potato, chili, etc. I make all mine myself.

I also allow myself 3 "cheat" meals a week: 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner. I don't go overboard and keep my cheat meal within my calorie limits. For example, i'll eat 2 eggs, 1 biscuit, and 3 pieces of center cut bacon for breakfast or 2 pieces of pizza with pineapple for dinner, etc. Would I be skinnier if I didn't allow myself cheat meals? Perhaps. Would I be as happy without my cheat meals? Absolutely not. Like I said before, for me, it is finding that perfect balance.

I hope this helps! Sorry for the long post. :)

Last edited:
Katie-Great post! Thanks for all of the great ideas! Question: How do you make homemade graham crackers? Sounds so good!!! :)

Oh I don't mind sharing at all! I have found so much helpful information, tips, etc. on this forum that I thought it was time for me to try to contribute a little bit.

Ohsheglows is the best!! I can't say enough good things about the blog. I have found so many good recipes on it. Plus, it has introduced me to foods i've never tried before (quinoa, chia seeds, almond milk, etc.).

I actually found the home made graham cracker recipe on ohsheglows (surprise!). I've included a link below. I haven't quite perfected the graham crackers yet. The first time I made them they were really hard and the second time a little chewy. Even imperfect they are soooo delicious. One graham cracker with a dollop of natural PB and homemade strawberry jam has become one of my FAVORITE snacks. They don't honestly have quite the same texture as graham crackers you buy at the grocery store but I like the change. Okay, now i've got to go make another batch of graham crackers, and i'm gonna get it right this time! :)

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/07/peanut-butter-jam-graham-cracker-sandwiches/

I know Cathe has answered this particular question before - if I had the link to it I would post that, sorry that I don't. Anyway perhaps if you do a search you can find it on the site.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.