Eating Clean

starlight6

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I was wondering if you could give me a basic idea of what eating clean means to you. How does it break down from meal to meal and/or from day to day? I am trying very hard to improve my eating habits. Intellectually I know what I'm supposed to be eating, but for me it is hard to put into practical use. I also have a very strange schedule which requires me to eat small amounts of food mostly "on the run" for most of the day. So far I've taught myself to eat breakfast & to drink LOTS of water. Any comments you may have would be welcome.
Thanks for all your hard work, I am so looking forward to the new workouts! (By the way, I love your hair!)
Thanks again, Ruth

Hey, Ruth, I'm not Cathe but maybe I can help. Eating clean simply refers to limiting foods that are overly refined( like table sugar and white flour) and emphasizing foods in their natural states. Eat whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats, legumes, soy products.... Avoid highly processed foods which are often stripped of the best sources of complex carbs and nutrients; avoid too much fat, particulary hydrogenated fats and saturated fats. The monounsaturated fat in olive oil and canola oil are beneficial to the heart and don't forget fish like salmon and tuna which provide omega-3 fatty acids. Eat in balance and don't forget to eat something decadent every once in awhile! I hope this helps!

Bobbi

Hi Bobbi,
Thanks for answering, I appreciate your help. Basically I know what I should & shouldn't eat, mostly I'm trying to figure out when to eat what & how much of it! (If that makes sense.) The only "normal" meal I can have on my schedule is breakfast, after that it is catch as catch can! If you have any ideas about scarfing down food on the run (no cooking) & what to scarf when, (for continued energy as much as anything else), I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks again, Ruth :)

Hi, Ruth, I have been reading the Okinawa Program (as featured on Oprah!) so I've been trying to eat soybeans and beans in general. Mainly, I stick to whole grain breads (Small Planet Bakery) with natural peanut butter. I've been getting Edamame (soybeans in the pod) and cooking a serving to snack on. Since you are busy, you might try a cooking day. My sister does this. (She's much better organized than I am.) She preps much of her weekly food and freezes it, then adds fresh vegetables and fruit to the mix. Also, many canned beans and soups are great if you make sure they don't overdo the salt. Here in Tucson, we are able to find a pretty good variety of vegetarian entrees. They can be expensive though. I've been trying to add smoothies occasionally too but preparing them is a pain in the keester! I like tuna sandwiches and try to broil salmon once a week. I buy prepared salads and add tomatoes and cukes and onions and a little dressing. I try to keep fresh garlic and ginger on hand for flavor. Keep it simple, you know. It helps that it's so hot here now that eating light is a must! Lately, I have been meaning to go to the food network and print some recipes for salads and light dishes that incorporate beans and lean meats. Canned beans are as nutritious as beans you prepare yourself ( which is good because I have yet to prepare beans from scratch and get anyone to eat them!)If you know the basics, just try to maintain a good diet but it's ok to sneak in a
few items like white french bread (our Safeways bakery is so Good!) I also eat regular pasta as opposed to whole wheat. I haven't found a whole wheat pasta I consider palatable! Sorry about being so long winded! Hope this helps!
Bobbi ;-)

Bobbi, I just read your post and you are an inspiration! :-wow I'm trying to get back on the eating-clean wagon after a scandalous amount of time off of it, and it is hard!

I have The Okinawa Program on reserve at my library. What did you think of it?

Have you read Fast Food Nation?

Okinawa Program

Sorry for butting in, but I skimmed The Okinawa Program at the bookstore & it looks good. The diet isn't really that different from the USDA food pyramid though it emphasizes quality & nutrient dense choices in all of the food categories. The Okinawans do eat a lot of fruits & vegies (not fried or heavily sauced either). Very little red meat, some cold water fish, & several servings of soy foods each day. I was specifically curious about their grain intake. The book promotes whole grains but in reality the Okinawans eat a lot of white rice or wheat noodles.

Along with a healthy diet, the Okinawan people just live a very healthy lifestyle with plenty of family & community support. The aging process isn't feared but embraced. Obviously that contributes to long-term health.

I am trying to include more soy products in my diet without constantly reverting to asian stir frys or fake meats. Making some progress. The fruit & vegie part is easier.

RE: Okinawa Program

Hi Bobbi, Cheryl & Debra!

Thank you so much for answering...I never heard of the Okinawan Diet but will certainly read about it. Bobbi, you ARE an inspiration! (My sister is more organized than I am too.)

Actually my HB does all the cooking here...has for years. I used to do it, & I was a good cook but I hated it! One day I told him I wasn't going to cook anymore so if he wanted to eat...he loves to cook anyway. And I do all the cleanup. But he will go along with anything I want him to try. Luckily, I can count on him to de-fat everything he makes. (This does NOT stop him from bringing ice cream & peanut butter cups into my house! He's one of those skinny doesn't-gain-an-ounce-no-matter-what-he-eats people. Drives me crazy!

Back to the subject...you have certainly given me something to work with, I really appreciate it! As for soy...I was a hippie so I've been eating soy (beans or flour) for over 30 years now. (Yikes!!) Never could stand tofu though, & I still can't!!

I love whole grains anyway, so that part is easy for me. Never much liked whole grain pastas though. But whole grain breads & cereals & such...yum!!! Veggies I also love. Used to hate fruit but have taught myself to eat it. I will read up on this plan & let you know how I do. You too!

Thanks again for your interest...:)
Ruth

Inspiring? Thank you! Actually, I am compulsive and throw myself wholeheartedly into everything I do. ;-) Also, once I know something, there's no turning back! I love the Okinawan Program. The beauty of it is, it's really simple because it's a lifestyle. Talk about inspiring! The Okinawan Elders are amazing and in such incredible good health! They are so vital! It also emphasizes the importance of spirituality and physicality. I have not read Fast Food Nation but I am all too familiar with the statistics. Americans are unhealthy!! The grocery store is really scary when you look at the junk that is available. I have 10 and 12 yer-old daughters and a four year-old son and it is so hard to feed them nutritious foods when they want all that junk! And the hubby, who is a wonderful cook, is very unconcerned about what he eats. But I do ramble on...
Ruth, you sound like your diet is pretty clean. I know I am lucky to be such a fan of whole grains and legumes and vegetables. I have found one type of tofu that I like. It's and extra firm garlic and basil kind that goes well in a spinach salad with mozarella(it's hard to tell which is which until it's in you mouth)and basalmic vinegar. Silken tofu makes me shudder. Interestingly, I read a post by Cathe confessing to eating a couple of slices of marble cake as well as devil dogs earlier in the day!!!! Someone had asked her what she likes to indulge in.

Hi Bobbi, I read that post too & it made me feel so much better! Even Cathe indulges!! Still, as hard as she works it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

I will definitely be reading about the O plan. It sounds very interesting indeed. Some of what you've said about it actually reminds me of my hippie youth! We had a lot of ideals.

The grocery store in this country is absolutely frightening. Whenever I go into one I feel like I am entering into battle. As for feeding children...NOT easy. No matter what kind of diet you give them at home, they are out there eating junk when we're not looking. At the friend's house, or at the McDonalds, at the ballgame, etc. etc. etc. My own son ended up eating more junk than his friends when he got older, because he was of course rebelling against me - I am proud of one thing though, I hate sodas so never have them around. You would think that would make no difference, but he never drinks soda. Interesting.

Ruth

The nice thing, Ruth, is once you've laid the groundwork, alot of them will come back to good habits. It may not be until they are throwing their hands up in consternation over THEIR children, but they will get it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.