Dumbell vs Barbell/Days off on a rotation

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, (or anyone else who could answer)
I was wondering if I could use dumbells instead of a barbell in STS total body?

I am also trying to create a rotation where I am working out 3 days on and 1 day off. Will I get the same benefits/results as opposed to working out 6 days straight and then taking 1 day off?

Thanks Lilly

Hi Lilly,

I don't see why you couldn't substitute dumbbells for the barbell when you felt the urge to. Both pieces of equipment work the the targeted muscle in a slightly different way. Sometimes I prefer to work on my Gold's gym than lifting the barbell or dumbbells. I am working my muscles but realize that my machine works in lesser planes of movement (there are 3 cardinal planes), so the machine is a bit more limited than the barbell or dumbbells (which more closely mimics real life actions). I would go with what you felt like for the day and take notes on how it felt in your workout diary, that way you know if it is a good option for you or not, and I would try the new rotation in the same manner, giving it time, taking notes and tracking progress to see if it is working for you. It is hard to predict if something will work sometimes the only way is the tried and true way! Good luck and hope this helps!
Denise

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.