Dumbbells vs. Barbell

hiho322

Cathlete
Living in a small apartment, I really don't have room for a barbell and the weights that go along with it. I already have so much workout equipment, my closets are close to exploding :eek:

So here's my question: in many of your workouts, Cathe, you use a barbell. Especially in Lower Body Blast and High Reps, I'm wondering if I can use dumbbells to substitute, and how high I should go. Also, if I can substitute, do I hold them the same way (underhanded? overhanded?) as you suggest for the barbell? And do I then try to mimic the action of the barbell, say, holding them over the same part of the body in the same way (hard to explain)?

Thanks,

Annie

I would like to know the answer to this question! I have a barbell, but don't like to use it (bothers my back/shoulders, plus I can't go very heavy because I can't hoist the barbell up -- I don't have a BB rack). I'm never sure what dumbbells to use which are comparable to the barbell. I'm sure I don't make sense, but I bet you know what I'm talking about!

Julie

I've been doing Cathe's workouts for six years, and I don't own a barbell. I've always subbed dumbbells. I do rows like she does single arm rows, just with both arms... if that makes sense. I do squats and plié squats holding my dumbbells at my sides instead of hoisted on my shoulders. And if I need extra weight to equal her barbell weight, I just throw on my weighted vest.

I do wonder, though, how to do the chest press (forget the name of it) that Cathe does in Gym Styles where she pulls in her elbows -- with dumbbells instead of a barbell. Anyone know?

If I understand your question correctly your are talking about the exercise that will transition you into triceps? I believe some call it s French press. You hold the db like your going to do a chest press but the palms of your hands are facing each other when you bring your arms down bring them down close to your sides elbows tucked in close and execute. Idk if I'm explaining it the right way but maybe if you goggle it you will find a demo. Hope I was able to help!

If I understand your question correctly your are talking about the exercise that will transition you into triceps? I believe some call it s French press. You hold the db like your going to do a chest press but the palms of your hands are facing each other when you bring your arms down bring them down close to your sides elbows tucked in close and execute. Idk if I'm explaining it the right way but maybe if you goggle it you will find a demo. Hope I was able to help!

Perfect! Thanks!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.