Curved Barbell vs, straight

Madison511

Hi Cathe--- I am very excited about your new STS and can't wait to get it!!! I enjoy all of your other DVD's and in prep for the new STS I got a Barbell and weights to add to my dumbell collection.....I am soooo excited. The sales person at the store and my husband said that they both thought the curved barbell (and I am not sure if that is the correct term) was better than a straight one....they said it helped more with form and that the different grips would be more comfortable. So I guess I am asking your opinion on this.....is a curved barbell or a straight bar better??? Thanks!!!!:)

Not Cathe but interested in the answer.
I have an "easy curl" bar, I think that's what it's called. it's difficult for me to hold a straight bar or dumbbells evenly. I can't seem to comfortably rotate my arms and wrists "outward" enough to do it. Easy curl bars are common I figured it was a common issue. Love to see if there's a real answer to this.

I have an EZcurl bar in addition to regular barbells. I think the EZcurl bar is good for bicep and tricep exercises-- especially if you have wrist or elbow issue using a regular bar. It could also be used for bench presses and lat rows, but it's not good for moves in which you hold the bar across your upper back (squats, lunges, etc.). That being said, I haven't used my EZ curl bar in ages (though I think about using it for some bi/tri work at times).

I personally wouldn't have JUST an EZcurl bar, but it makes a good secondary bar (for the above reasons).

I only have an easy curl bar, and I find that I can do any of the exercises in Cathe's workouts just fine with it. I don't notice any problems with putting it on my shoulders for squats, etc. I guess it just depends on your personal preference.

Tracy

That is also what the sales rep also said ...that he found it more comfortable on the back with the curved bar to do squats...ect....maybe it is just a personal preference....let's hope Cathe sees and responds!!! :)

An EZ-curl bar definitely is more gentle on your wrists than a straight bar. It also puts the arms in a more natural position for things like curls and triceps work. I have a padded straight bar and it is fine. But, any time I've worked out at the gym, I use the EZ-curl. I prefer the EZ-curl, but for a home gym, if you can only have one - go with what you find most comfortable. You will find EZ-curl bars are also shorter than many of the straight bars. I would go to the store and try it out over your shoulders and see how it feels. I don't think I would like that, but I've never tried it. Ultimately, however, it is just personal preference.

I just used to a couple of hours ago when doing the bicep work from Gym Style and it felt weird...although I have always used dumb bells so I guess maybe it just takes getting used to?!

Hi Madison511! It is a matter of personal preference. I personally feel both bars have their advantages depending on what exercise you are doing and what you are looking for within each workout. For instance, the EZ Curl bar, though shorter and bulkier, works great for varied hand grips and wrist comfort on many exercises such as lying tricep extensions, bicep curls, overhead tricep press, deadlifts, bent rows, reverse curls, etc. The straight bar can also perform the above exercises (with a little more stress to sensitive wrists) but is also great for squats and bench press...two all time classic weight lifting exercises that, IMO, are not nearly as comfortable to perform with an EZ Curl bar.

Some food for thought: If you have no wrist issues but extra money to spend, you may want to add an EZ curl bar to your straight bar collection to vary the angle and muscle fiber recruitment. If you have a lot of wrist/forearm issues you may want to invest in an EZ curl bar to provide greater comfort while you lift. If you cannot get both, head over to a fitness supply store and check out an EZ Curl Bar. Practice squats and bench press with it (along with other exercises I have mentioned here) to make sure you will be comfortable using this curl bar for your overall barbell purposes.

Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.