CTX - Two or more body parts

SnowyOwl

Cathlete
I'm continuing this from another thread - I got some very helpful ideas there but wanted to hear more experiences too. Also I just love hearing people talk about how they use these tapes :)

I noticed that when combining body parts from CTX, I've needed to drop weight for the second body part compared to when doing them singly. For instance, when adding in triceps after chest work, I need to use less weight than I would had I done just triceps. Same thing happened when I did back/biceps.

Lynne pointed out that this is likely because chest work fatigues triceps too, and Aimee suggested a chest/biceps split to help keep the weight up, and I tried this last night and it worked well. (thanks guys!)

I was wondering, though, if there is anything really "wrong" with dropping weight for that second body part, since the whole purpose is to fatigue the muscle. If it's pre-exhausted, doesn't it just mean that it takes less weight to achieve fatigue? Or do you end up sacrificing the possibility of strength gains? Or risking joint stress/injury?

Or am I making this a whole lot more complicated than it really is, and should just worry about doing what feels like fun that day ;-)

How do you like combining the CTX strength work?

Sophie

Hi Sophie!

I think I will also try Aimee's suggestion of chest/biceps,(or push/pull muscles) when I begin my next CTX rotation. I usually double up the body parts like the PS series. I like to concentrate on strength and the CTX series really has given me some great definition. What I found helpful was writing down what weights I used for each exercise and also the goal weight I wanted to lift. Before I begin my second body part I take about a minute rest (deep breathing, marching in place, sip of water) before I begin the 2nd body part. This very brief break allows me to lift heavier on my second body part in spite of being fatigued. The bicep crazy 8s are my biggest challenge (that and those @#!!* x( power scissors in IMAX and CTX Kickbox!) When I first began CTX I had to lift lighter than I was used to because of the different style reps but by the end of the rotation I was back to heavier except for crazy 8s, I can only do 25 lbs on them, it's driving me batty!

IMHO it doesn't seem that it would be "wrong" to lift lighter on your 2nd body part as long as you alternate the 2nd part around so it's sometimes 1st and gets heavy days too. That way you won't lose strength gains. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said whatever was FUN that day! :-jumpy

BTW I love your user name "Snowy Owl". They're so beautiful, one of my favorite birds. :)

Thank you for your suggestions Lorrie! I'll have another look at my "rotation" (ie. scribbles on my calendar) and try giving those second body parts a turn at being first, so to speak. I am currently writing down my weights used, as well.

I agree with you on those crazy 8's - I love/hate them. But until I "met" them on MIS, I simply could not feel ANYTHING happening in my biceps with just straight lifting. I never felt the pump or even slightly sore the next day regardless of what weight I used or how many reps I did. But those crazy 8's really do it for me...and for the first time in my entire life - voila, there are my biceps!

As for SnowyOwl - most Canadians think that it means I am a Brownie leader. I'm not, but my mom was, the Snowy Owl of our troop. Maybe when my daughter is older, I will be too! In the meantime...I thought it just sounded nice and Canadian.

Thanks again,
Sophie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.