choreography "suggestion"

gabba

Cathe,

I have enjoyed your videos for years and appreciate the intense workout they can give me. But I would realy love to see you finally eliminate all taps from your choreography by the time you get to the finished combos. I'm a certified instructor and haven't put taps in my choreography for years. Since most instructors don't use them, when they are in a workout, they tend to be confusing and even at times distracting. I know you really love the A-step and L-step, but I would hope you would consider retiring those moves or modifying them to remove the tap. Just my thoughts - thanks for listening.

RE: choreography

Hmm..interesting. I have been doing Cathe fairly exclusively for years now. So I never think about to tap or not to tap. I can imagine how when you go off the side for an L step you tap down with one foot and then put it back on the board. But I am not so sure I can think of an example of a step--or two, or a little combo I suppose-- when you are not tapping. Maybe I just need to finish this coffee though. Can you give me a Cathe example (maybe even site the dvd) where there is not a tap? Thanks.

I've been doing Cathe long enough now that her choreography comes naturally to me. When she breaks down some steps she'll add a tap once in a while but usually in the finished product there are none. I am also a certified fitness instructor and I just love her style.

Allison

Ok, I've had some coffee and time to think. I can see that a simple knee up corner to corner is a move without the tap.

I love Cathe. But have also wondered why she doesn't take out all taps. I'm also a certified instructor and have been teaching for 6 years. When I started taking class an started teaching class we used taps. Honestly tap free is a lot better. It just flows. It is very easy to take the taps out. Which, I do on my own with her videos. For example, instead of and A-Step and walk around I will go over the top fast and walk around.

Jodi

I can't imagine step without the taps! If they were eliminated I'd end up tripping all over myself.

Hi Gabba! Welcome to the forum! I can see by the number of your posts that this is your first time posting...so again, welcome :)

Regarding your suggestion....I believe you are referring to what is known as "tapless choreography". You will find mixed opinions on eliminating taps entirely from workouts (finished products included). I, along with many long time, well known, fitness piers in the industy have had this discussion in the past at various times. Basically the realization is that it is all a matter of preference. As long as any move is cued well, isn't contraindicated, and is safe and effective, it is completely acceptable to do.

I agree, if you get used to taking a class or doing workouts with 100% tapless choreography you will need to do a little adjusting when suddenly coming into a workout that contains tap downs. But the same is true for a person who is used to doing tap downs and suddenly coming into a workout that is all tapless. Its just an adjustment, not a wrong way to step.

I hope you'll continue to enjoy my workouts with me since I find the blend of both keeps things challenging, interesting, and offers more variety. You'll be delighted to know that I prefer tapless most of the time but will always have a blend of both here and there if that's where my body moves me when choreographing a workout. No harm done :)

Thanks for your feedback Gabba. Whether we agree or not, I'm always up for hearing others points of view. Be sure to visit us again sometime and best wishes in your teaching career :)

Ditto to Fit Fairy--
Cathe's response is just another example of how classy and open minded she is. Well done.

Allison

>Ditto to Fit Fairy--
> Cathe's response is just another example of how classy and
>open minded she is. Well done.
>
>Allison

DITTO!

Tap, don't tap. I still get a great workout.
Haydee

Honestly, I can't believe this is even an issue. This must be some kind of wierd aerobics industry controversy of which I was blissfully unaware until this morning.

Do whatever you want, Cathe--I'll keep buying.

Maggie:)

>Honestly, I can't believe this is even an issue. This must be
>some kind of wierd aerobics industry controversy of which I
>was blissfully unaware until this morning.
>
I hope not! I am an instructor and I never heard of "taps" and "tapless." I use them sometimes, but not all the time, and it seems to work for me and my classes.

Being a formerly cerified instructor myself, I find taps are useful in learning and doing the finished combo especially those as complex as Step Blast, for instance, or Body Max 2.
Cathe, you're the best and most challenging out there and you're response was to this good question just proves you're first class.

I, too, LOVE the A step and the L step. Actually, I think I enjoy the A step more! :) But, seriously, I think I just enjoy any move that I get from Cathe. I think she always finds a way to make these moves fresh & exciting for new videos.

As for the taps, I recall a video where we were challenged to not down tap. And by the end, Cathe's remark was 'you are getting used to not down tapping now?'. For me, I don't mind either way...for I know that Cathe will teach me to be a PRO! :7

~~neicebug~~

Yup, that would be a tap move. Anything where you tap down to get on the other foot is considered a "tap move". Who cares, though, right? :)

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.