Chest and Back

Faythe

Cathlete
I just heard about the Cathe video's this week. I am currently using other videos that use weights, and step aerobics and I run. I just lost 35 Lbs since this past May until now and am aiming to loose another 30 Lbs. or so, I'll know when I get there. My body type is very uncommon. I am 5'3" and small boned but have a large breasts and large calves. Most people I see in fitness forums want to gain muscle on their calves and have larger chest, but I don't. I want to loose most of my chest and thin out my calves. I noticed on this site that you have a "Chest and Back" video (slow and heavy). Would you recommend that for me wanting to loose weight in my chest? Would you reccomend heavy or light weights for my chest? I do butterfly's and bench presses on incline and decine and flat, using 8-10&12 Lbs, but I'm afraid of going heavier. Also, what do you recommend in thinning out my calves? I am doing cardio by running and step aerobics which I really enjoy. Thank you in advance for any advise.
Faythe

Hi Faythe! Chest and calves are two areas that are strongly influenced by genetics. If genetically you have large calves and a large bust, you unfortunately won't be able to do very much to alter that.

Also, you cannot selectively choose areas on the body to lose weight from. A combination of a well balanced diet, cardiovascular program (of say 3 to 5 times per week), and a weight training program (one which hits each major muscle group in the body about two times per week)is what you will need to participate in to lose weight gradually and generally from all areas of the body.

Since your calves are naturally large, and you do not want them to get any larger, I would not add heavy weight training to your program for them. You probably can get away with running as the only source of conditioning for them since they are used whole heartedly during running. However, if you want to cross train them for even better conditioning, then do standing calf raises once a week or once every other week using no assisted weight, rather just your own body weight as resistance (three sets of 25 reps).

Your chest muscles, which lie underneath the natural bodyfat of your breast tissue, should not be neglected since they are a major muscle group and should be worked in as part of a balanced total body weight training program. If you are happy with the results that you have been getting with your current chest routine, keep with it. If you would like to try heavier, you can do every other workout with heavy weight to cross train the muscles. I personally feel that this will not make your chest muscles enlarge enough to give the illusion of yet larger breasts. Although genetics will tend to want to keep your breasts fuller, a well balanced fitness program may help to decrease your breast size somewhat since the breasts are largly made up of fatty tissue.

Good Luck!

calves

Faythe,

Your post brought a chuckle. Everyone, male & female seems unhappy with their chest. I've also noted that most women think their calves are out of proportion with the rest of their leg, either too small or too large. I've felt that mine were huge - yes from genetics, but the cycling, running & hiking really pumps them up. Then I saw a discussion on the Video Fitness forum about calves & realized mine weren't nearly as large as I perceived. I do think it's beneficial to those of us with genetically large calves to train them so they have some shape. I bet your running & stepping has given your calves great shape even if you're unhappy with their girth.

Debra

RE: calves

Hi Debra,
I have never really noticed my calves until I was around 20 when everyone asked me if I was a runner. I didn't do any exercise at that time. Then I started noticing in pictures and such that my calves were bigger than most. Especially because I was so under weight at the time. Then in my mid 20's I gained a sugnificant amount of weight (which I am finally now riding myself of) so much of the weight besides my waist went to my chest and calves. So it's worse than before. But once I get down to my goal weight (I'm about half way there now), I'll be happy with that accomplishment. I do want to make them as thin as possible though. I love step aerobics and can do it well and don't want to stop even though I heard it may cause my legs to look even more muscular. But I only do it 2-3 times a wk. and alternate it with running. But thanks for your perspective on the matter. I appreciate it very much.
Faythe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.