Cathe--your opinion on squats?

LauraMax

Cathlete
In my ongoing efforts to build a butt, I've been doing what I consider "traditional" squats on the smith machine--basically going into a sitting position so my thighs are perpendicular w/the ceiling.

A trainer suggested to me this week that I add another 6 sets of squats on a different day, to lighten the weights to 60% of what I've been doing, & to go into a really deep squat where my butt almost touches the backs of my sneakers.

I've always been leery of "deep" squats b/c they seem pretty tough on the knees. I'm heading toward my 40th bday (yikes! :eek: ) and certainly want to do whatever's possible to avoid injury. Would you mind sharing your thoughts? Thanks! :)

not Cathe, obviously--but holy moly that sounds like a knee-cracker! I'm wincing just thinking about it! (but I'm not in your kind of shape)

gisela

Hi Lauramax! My thoughts are OUCH!!!!

Bottom line, I don't recommend it. This is such an ultra high risk move and at 35 years plus becomes even riskier. It requires greater joint flexibilty to lessen the risk, yet even at that, a full squat flexes the spine in a way that can lean to serious injuries.

Instead try three sets of leg presses at the gym on the leg press unit with your feet high on the plate.

Then do 3 sets of 8 reps with static lunges on the smith machine but do them the way I do "low ends". In other words go down and half way up 3 times and then all the way up.

Then do three sets of low end squats at 8 reps per side.

Three sets of slow and controlled Power scissor jumps (do 24 alternating deep jumps per set)

Then do three sets of deadlifts.

Have Fun }(

Hi Lauramax!

I do my squats the way your trainer recommended, they are commonly referred to as ATG Squats or A$$ to Grass Squats. I have been making strength gains much quicker throughout my entire leg doing these. You do have to make sure they are done with exact proper form to avoid injury. There are two websites that I highly recommend which give good instruction, I'm just not sure if it is suitable for me to post them here on Cathe's site.

Later,
Monica

Hi,

As I recuperate from a herniated disc at L5 S1 I would not suggest doing any exercises that put undo stress on your spine. I am fully convinced that my injury was from repeated overuse and stress. Looking good is not worth risking any injury to your back, spine, and/or knees. You cannot workout much when either are injured and the rehab and recouperation can be long and hard.

Tracy

Holy moly, Cathe wants to hurt me. :p Actually this is very similar to what I do except I do traditional squats & lunges on the smith & no deadlifts (still fear injury w/them). Thanks for the advice, changing the squats & lunges to low end sounds like a real glute burner! The power scissor jumps will probably make me vomit but as far as I'm concerned that's proof I got a good workout. :p

So I'm assuming I should lighten my weight on the low ends? Maybe 75% of my max?

And I'll advoid those deep squats b/c I want to still be doing this for the next 20-30 years or so........;) Thanks for your help!

Hi Tracy,
I, too, had a herniated disk in the same location. I tried physical therapy for 2 months but in the end required surgery- a microdysectomy. As a result I have stopped doing heavy weighted squats. I am curious what you are doing to replace them? I have found some good alternatives on Cathe's TimeSaver DVD and the leg drills in Kick Max.

I'd be interested in hearing what you are doing. I hope you are feeling better and are on the road to recovery.

Take care,
Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.