Cathe, who does the cooking

mabdoo

Cathlete
in your house? You or your husband? Also, how on board are your kids about eating clean? Just wondered if you do the same "What are we going to have for dinner this week?" routine that we do in our house.

Anyone else? Do you have a menu for the week or do you go day to day? We try and stick to a menu but we do get off of it. I do all the cooking. My husband's idea of cooking dinner is ordering it.

Good question! Cathe, are you stuck making two meals ~ one regular for the family, and one that is much cleaner (for lack of a better term) for yourself?

I plan out the week and do all the cooking. The kids eat a pretty regular menu, I eat certain foods, and my husband bounces between those two menus depending on what looks good. :) Sometimes I get lucky, and all 4 of us enjoy the same thing.

At my house, with only one exception (dirty rice), I make only one dinner. Whatever healthy dinner I make is what the family eats. They know I am not running a restaurant. The only reason I let it slide with dirty rice is that my DD got sick one night after eating it and now can't even look at it:confused:.

Carrie

in your house? You or your husband? Also, how on board are your kids about eating clean? Just wondered if you do the same "What are we going to have for dinner this week?" routine that we do in our house.

Anyone else? Do you have a menu for the week or do you go day to day? We try and stick to a menu but we do get off of it. I do all the cooking. My husband's idea of cooking dinner is ordering it.

Hi Maboo! I am not a big cooker (but enjoy baking ;) ) and mainly cook the basics with no fancy flavors. Also, the kids sports schedules are usually held right at dinner hour so it makes it hard for quality sit down dinners. So we play it day to day with chicken, beef, and turkey dishes being the main players throughout the week. Of course Mickey D's, grilled cheese, and pizza get thrown around in the mix too. But I try to balance that out with broccoli, no sugar added applesauce, and carrot sticks. I can't say my kids exactly love that add on :D

You just made my day

Cathe,

Thanks first for responding to my post, woohoo! Also, thanks for showing that you are human (I sometimes think you are a machine the way you never look tired!) and have a crazy household like the rest of us. I was happy to read that you have to order pizza once in a while.

My daughter is on board with eating healthy, the males in the house on the other hand, are not. They hate eating clean and heaven forbid anything green touches their plate. (And that includes parsley.) There are 3 of them and only two women (and daughter is only 3!) so most of the time, my plans to eat well are all in vain.

So just lately I've started making what I have been calling "multiple choice" dinners. For instance, tonight we are all having chicken. But Kylie and I will be pairing that with Sweet potatoes and salad while the testosterone in the house will get white potatoes and probably turn their noses up at our greens.

Little suggestion though, a while back I bought a cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld called "Deceptively Delicious". So I have been sneaking veggies in their meals now for months. Their favorite is actually tacos which I add butternut squash to, and brownies (with carrots and broccoli). Sounds horrible, but it's actually good and you can't taste the veggies.

Just do me one favor, don't tell the boys. ;)

heaven forbid anything green touches their plate.

I have a 7 year old like that. Anything green is considered the height of evil! At least he'll eat a lot of fruit. I have my own menu, and one for DH and the 10 year old will usually eat what DH is eating. The 7 year old is my challenge and with him it's practically an hour by hour of what foods are acceptable and what isn't. I keep hoping he'll want to emulate his brother who will pretty much eat anything, but so far it's like the ONE thing he's decided to be an individual about.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.