Cathe, What is interval training

RachelD

and what exactly is it good for? I have seen it mentioned several times and was wondering what it is. I am new to this whole fitness world, so please don't think I am crazy :D

Thanks
Rachel

Hi Rachel,
I am not Cathe but I can help you out with this one, just incase Cathe is to busy:)
When your doing aerobics,jogging,walking....whatever.And you are going at a steady,sensible pace but then you decide to kick it up a notch and go as hard as you can for a few seconds,30 seconds a minute or more.,.....that's an interval.
Example.In alot of Cathe's tapes there are intervals.How it works is, you could be just doing step or floor aerobics and missy moo decides that it is time to kick it up a notch and get the heart rate higher,so she will put some high jogs in there,or some plyo jacks:-wow.
What they are good for? Challenging your body and breaking through fitness plateaus.
Thats about as much help as I can offer.I hope I explained it o.k.Hopefully Cathe will chime in and have a response on this one.It's always nice to hear from Cathe:D.
Lori

Cathe I hope you don't mind if I jump in here with an old post of yours.....

THe following is a post by cathe to another poster:

Why DO INTERVALS? By Cathe
You are right that it burns a lot of calories. It also does the following:
1) Pushes you beyond that sticking point if you are at a plateau in your cardio program.
2) Greatly strengthens the heart muscle.
3) Increases your power, speed, and agility.
4) Increases your overall aerobic capacity by making your muscles more efficient at using oxygen available to them. This also gives you the ability to push harder and last longer in your non-interval workouts as well

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.