CATHE UPDATE PLEASE

arogerson

Cathlete
Cathe-

I am sure you are very busy but I log on every night to see if you posted an update on how you are doing. We all love to read your spontaneous updates. I would love to know how you are doing with your pregnancy, how much are you working out, do you have morning sickness? Thanks for any info you can provide.

ANGIE ROGERSON
MONROE, WI

Hi Angie! Thanks for asking. Overall, I can't complain. It is a fairly smooth pregnancy. I get moments of nausea but nothing has actually "made it to the top". Thank goodness. I go for a check up on Monday and at that point I will be 13 1/3 weeks along with a weight gain update. I have been keeping my normal workout schedule and simply modifying as I go. This consists of one to two Body Pump classes, one Kickbox class, one Circuit class, and one Step class. I have eliminated inserting my own workouts outside of teaching because I do not have the extra time right now. I also notice that I am much more out of breath with all of my workouts and I am also holding a good amount of water in my legs, chest, and lower back area. That is about all that is new up to now. Take care and have a nice weekend!

I knew I could count on you for a response. Great to hear from you. It is so weird, I feel like I know you since I love your tapes and do them ALL the time. I wish you the best with your pregnancy. I have a 9 month old so it wasn't too long ago that I was in your shoes. I remember being soooo thirsty when I worked out during my first trimester. I am finally back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I find it harder to get back down there with each pregnancy (3 total). I ran my first 10K today and my time was 46:02, my personal worst! Oh well! I feel stronger than ever even if I can't run that fast anymore. It is because I got smart and started strength training and cross-training with your tapes. Take care!

ANGIE

Hi, Cathe. Glad to hear you are generally feeling well. I'm sure you know this, but just a reminder-your heart rate should never go over 140 when you are pregnant. My MD says after that, placental blood flow is decreased! So be careful!

Hi Angie,
I think 6 miles in 46 minutes is excellent. You should be proud. Boy, if that's your worst time, you must have been a sure enough fast runner before! Take care. Lisa

Thanks Lisa! My best 10K time was 40:32 when I was about 21 years old. I am 38 now and it is just hard to see your times get increasingly slower. But, it is a fact of life and I just feel lucky I can still run without any injury.

heartrate

When I was pregnant last year my obstretrician told me a new study just came out regarding exercising during pregnancy. The new test for how hard you should work out during pregnancy is whether you can talk during your workout. You should listen to your body rather than go by the heartrate test. A maximum heartrate of 140 might be extremely high for someone who never works out. Also, 140 might be pretty high for someone who is so conditioned that it takes alot of effort to get their heartrate that high.

Hi Firmbogie! Thank you for your concern. I have actually learned that many doctors are not aware of the changed ACOG guidelines since 1994. I will share them with you as far as your heartrate is concerned.

In 1994 the American College of Obstretrics and Gynecology (ACOG) changed their guidelines regarding measuring exercise intensity during pregnancy. THEY ELIMINATED THE ORIGINAL 140 MAXIMUM HEARTRATE GUIDELINE ISSUED IN 1985! (ACOG Bulletin #189, Feb 4, 1994).

Human research had proven that taking one's heartrate was not a valid indicator of intensity during pregnancy due to the dramatic physiological changes in both the cardiovascular and respiratory system during this time.

Two very valid ways of measuring exercise intensity during pregnancy are "Perceived Exertion" (i.e. on a scale of 1-10, 1 is lying still and 10 is all out intensity) where you want to be working at a 5-6 which correlates to "fairly light to somewhat hard". Research on very fit pregnant moms has shown that they can take it up "one more notch" to "hard." This as long as you listen to your body and make sure that you are drinking a lot while working out.)

The other valid method is the "Talk Test". If you can say sentences that are 2-5 words in length while working out, you are okay and the baby is getting adequate oxygen. I prefer to use this method.

I'm certainly not trying to push this in your face but I thought you would be interested in knowing this. Thanks again:)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.