Cathe, sub. shoulder exercise

susieq

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! Because of a ruptured disc(L5), my Dr. told me not to do overhead presses for shoulders. :-(

Can you tell me what would be a good subsitution?

I'm going to get started with weights again next week :7 ! That will be 6 weeks since surgery.

Thanks!

Hi Susie Q! As much as I would love to help you, I truly think that you should ask your doctor what specific exercises he recommends to maintain and gradually improve the strength of your shoulder post surgery. You were most likely sent to physical therapy after your surgery too. If so, they would be another source to contact for specific exercises. Good luck and ease back gradually. Take care!

Thanks for your reply Cathe! Actually we went over several exercises, and I can do any that don't cause pain. He just said not to do any thing that compresses the spine, eg...don't put a barbell on your shoulders. His words were "I wouldn't recommend overhead press either." I can do squats and lunges with hand weights. He also recommended that I not ever go extremely heavy.

So, would upright rows be as good as over head presses? Do those two moves work the same way?

Thanks!

P.S. He didn't send me to Physical Therapy, since I am a regular exerciser. He gave me two books with lots of good info.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.