Cathe: Question on deadlift form?

finner

I am really curious why I am not feeling the deadlift on the LL tape. I think I am be doing the exercise wrong and I really don't want to aggravate by lower back! I follow Cathe's instructions to a "t", but don't really feel a good burn like I do with every other exercise in this workout--I just get a stlight stretching feelign in my hamstring and buttocks. I use a 22lb. dumbell becaue any higher than this and I can't perform the other exercises with good form. Shoudl I go higher for this particular exercise? Could someone give me feedback?

I have also checked out the form pointers section on this site and still can't seem to get it!

Hi,
I have the same problem. Someone previously said that she adds more weight on and then feels the exercise. She said that she just slides the weights on; doesn't bother taking the collars on and off. Then she can easily slip the plates off for the other exercises. Hope this helps.
Jackie

Me too. My normal weight for squats, leg presses, lunges, etc. is 30 lbs. I use 50 lbs for deadlifts -- less than that, and the exercise does nothing for me. I do find that I have to be extra careful with my form when I lift this amount of weight -- head neutral, shoulders back, keep abs tight and don't let back collapse -- otherwise I end up straining something.

This is what I do also. I use 35 pounds for everything else, and 50 pounds for the deadlifts. I have two barbells, but if I didn't, I would set up a set of 25 lb dumbells and then just hold them as though they were connected into a barbell, you know, like Cathe does for those shrugs in Power Circuit. I do the same for PS Legs deadlifts but for those I use 50 pounds for the normal and 70 for the deadlifts. If I make it any heavier, my grip wears out and I can't hold the bar any longer!

Grip

Have you tried using a "mixed grip", that is, one hand has palms forward, the other has palms facing body? That's what many sources recommend when lifting heavy on deadlifts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.