This is a Cathe question

I am, (don't laugh)new to crunches without equipment; and my neck is killing me. I did them last night and my neck was sooooo sore today. Is there like a secret to this or what. I see in some of the routines no one is even holding up their neck!!Isn't their neck hurting?? Or do you build up to this??? I am so dissappointed about this:-( Last night I stopped only because of my neck. I also want to get a stability ball but I don't know if I'll be able to do them on that either!! I haven't found any other postings referring to this,so any info you can pass on would be awesome,because I really want to work my abs bad:)

Thanks Again

Kathy

Keep in mind Cathe's workouts are advanced workouts so if this is your first time, you are being too hard on yourself. With time, you will be able to do it. If your neck is hurting when you are doing the exercise, provide the support your neck needs. It will come!

Hi Kathy--it's kind of difficult at first b/c there are a lot of things you need to focus on when you do abs. Your neck should stay stable and in line with the rest of your spine when you do crunches. Also your fingers should be lightly touching your head, not gripping which could cause your head to move forwards/backwards while you're doing the crunch. One way to avoid this is crossing your arms over your chest instead of placing your hands on your head.

So basically it takes some practice to get it right, but after a few months it'll become like second nature. Just hang in there!

Hi Kathy,
Don't worry your not alone ,this used to happen to me too. What i realized was i was using the muscles in my neck and shoulders to lift myself up more than my abs ,so i had to really learn to focus on lifting(contracting) with my abs not my neck and shoulders.Try putting one hand behind your neck and one on your stomach and lift the way you normaly do and lower back down, you will probably feel yourself tensing the neck and shoulders and not as much contraction in the abs, then try really concentrating on feeling your abs contract while keeping your neck and shoulders relaxed and then lift ,more than likely you will only be able to lift a small amount until you build up but thats ok because your using the muscles you want to work, not your neck !.It takes alot of focus on the contraction in the abs but the difference is very noticable, i hope you understand what i am trying to say and that it helps !
Mrsscififanec

You can use a towel to rest your head on, holding the ends in your hands while you crunch forward (don't pull on it, though, as that can jerk the neck). Also, holding your tongue behind your upper teeth can help stabilize the neck.

Thanks to all for your advice !! Everyone on this sight is so nice,and always willing to pass on their personal gains and struggles they've encountered along the way. It really gives a newcomer inspiration. I love the Cathe workouts; but they are tough. It's nice to know that all of you have been there and now can do them:) I love a challenge and have always loved working out;this is just a new type of workout for me, and I'm hooked Yippee!!!:p Thanks again Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.