Cathe - quarter deadlift form & low back pain question!...

missyb70

Cathlete
Lately I have two problems while working out. 1st of all, when I'm doing quarter dead lifts I feel "something" in my low back. It's definitely not pain, but more along the lines of fatigue and/or stiffness. Do you think this just means that I'm working the muscles in my low back or is it possible that my form is incorrect and putting too much pressure on my low back? I'm afraid that it will turn into pain if my form is incorrect, although I do pay very close attention to your cues, shoulders back, etc.

Also, for the last couple of weeks when I do lunges, my lower legs (calves into my feet) start to go numb and tingly, almost like they're falling alseep. It happens equally on both legs and stops as soon as I stop the lunges. I'm wondering if this may have to do with my form? Have you ever heard of this or had it happen to you? I'm not using very much weight, only 20 lbs.

Thanks, Cathe!!

Hi Missyb! The sensations you are experiencing in both the quarter dead lift and the lunges are very normal.

For quarter deadlifts, you are moving weight forward (in a hinged position) making your lower back naturally contract to support the weight load and assist in balance. As a safety check, be sure to to always lift a weight that you are sure you can handle as to not overstrain your back.

For lunges, the nature of this position makes the back leg act as a stabilizer. Many times the calf muscle will fatigue early on while trying to assist in balance. For some, this tightness lessens over time, for some it does not. If you are feeling too much discomfort, then simply take a quick break and try some more. Take breaks as often as needed (just try to keep them brief :)

Take Care!

Thanks for responding so quickly, Cathe! I'm glad everything is normal, now I can continue working out without having to worrry about it!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.