Cathe Please Help..S&H Legs

kimstarr

Hi Cathe! Thank you for your last answer to me regarding weight v. cardio, I really took your suggestions to heart, and printed it out as a reminder! Since that post I’ve been doing more consistent weight training and some of my clothes are already fitting better!

I’ve started using your new tapes and they are so good! R. Step is VERY FUN! I’m just having trouble with S&H Legs. I really like the tape/workout, but my legs don’t seem to burn like I read about for other people. It seems like I feel more burn doing more reps with heavy weight at a faster pace. I’m using 46-52 pounds, the heaviest I can get over my head. Even though I don’t feel the burn, is it still working my muscles good? I can feel my legs working, but I’m just not getting really really fatigued.

I feel my form is pretty good. I don’t want to stop using this the legs portion of tape, so I’m wondering if I should do more pre-exhaust or just rewind the tape and do more reps? Any help would be so nice. Thank you for your tapes since using your tapes for over 8 months, because of you exercise has been more consistent than it ever has!

Kim
P.S. The pilates are ok, I know I need a heavier weight to put in the middle. Would it also be okay to use a barbell over head instead? (using the same slow speed) Sorry for so many questions

same problem...

I love the other S&H workouts, but don't feel worked out with the legs segment. I feel like I am using good form, but can't lift a heavier barbell over my head safely. I have been going heavy with the pre-exhausting sets, but that isn't doing much for me either.
I would love to see any suggestions Cathe has about this.
Erica

RE: same problem...

I have the same problem. I'm thinking of using a weight belt I have for diving, and attaching 10 pounds around my waist. This way my legs would be lifting it on each rep and I could just put 50 pounds over my head. I cannot put 55 pounds up there. And I think I would need 60. Just a thought, otherwise I think this tape will not be useful to me.

RE: same problem...

I'm surprised to see 2 posts so fast! I thought maybe I would be the only one with this problem! Let's hope she can get to this question! The only other thing that came to mind was to improve arm strength so we could lift more over our heads....but how long would that take??

Kim

Hi Kim! In general, the legs are a tough muscle group to challenge with heavy weight in a home exercise environment due to the necessity of a spotter to keep the workout safe. For this reason we usually do more endurance type, medium to heavy weight, leg workouts for the home user (ie: leaner legs) to challenge them.

For the Slow and Heavy Series we wanted the workout to accomplish two goals: 1) provide a new type of workout to shock your muscles in a different manner(a change, even if it is a short term change, is always good) 2) design a slow heavy format that could still be effective while being safe (ie: the reason for adding the pre-exhaust sets). These higher rep pre-exhaust sets are included to pre-fatigue the leg muscles, therefore making it so they would require a "less than usual" heavy weight when doing the slow rep format.

Because everyones abilities vary, some may find that they need a longer pre-exhaust set to fatigue the legs. Adding as many of sets as you desire are fine. I personally find that I enjoy the slow static lunges in the slow and heavy workout the most. So I like to add on an additional set of those (per leg). After that I am "cooked" (needless to say):).

Yes, using a barbell behind your head(placing it on the softer tissue at the base of the neck) during plie's is fine.

Good Luck with everything!

Thank you for such a quick response! I too really like static lunges. I will definitely try to do more pre-exhuast sets. I have PS Legs also, so I'll also keep that in my rotation to. I like doing the slow & heavy I just want to be sure I get the most out of it. Thank you so much Cathe!

Kim

Hi Kim
just thought that I would share this. I'm so lucky that I have a rack at the end of my workout bvench. this means that I use 80 pounds for the squats and plie's on the SH tape.
I have to go that heavy to get the right feel, but it surely also makes a difference :)

this possiblity really make my home workouts so much more worth while. So It's one of the better investments I have made. Although I don't use the gym so much as I use tapes more, I benefit a lot from being able to get a heavier weight over my head for leg workouts.

Dorthe

Thanks for the repy! What type of rack do you have? I have a weight bench, but it only just has the stand at the end to rest the barbell on. Thanks for your help,

Kim

Hi kim,
I also have a weight bench, but the end where you have the barbell for benchpress, can be put up fairly high. It's high enough that I can duck down and put my head under it, and lift it off. When the barbell is laying on it, it probably reaches my upper chest level, but that's enough that I can get my head under it, and lift it off, and then use much heavier poundage.

If you can lift yours up, it it has settings you should try it.

very best
dorthe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.