Cathe: THE LOW IMPACT SERIES....CONSIDERATION??

Stacy

Cathlete
First off I'd like to say I'm excited about the Low Impact series, but I did want to voice some concerns alot of us gals have that I thought you might consider (if you haven't already). Alot of us do low impact for the obvious less impact/stress on the joints, but a large portion of us do it b/c of bad knees.

Classically in alot of other low impact workouts by various instructors, to compensate and get the cardio/"impact" there are alot of squats and lunges done to get the heart rate up. Unfortunately for those that do low impact to preserve the knees, this often has a counterproductive effect!!

I'm just asking that you consider a Low Impact and Knee Friendly workout and/or premixes.

Thank you!

I'm 56 and I've had knee sugery 2Xs. Believe me I know about knee issues! I continue to do the squats and lunges..... I just modify by not going as low and making sure my knee doesn't go beyond my toes. You just really have to pay attention to form. I can no longer run, but I can do plyo jumps, etcs. Again, just paying attention to form, what I can and cannot do helps tremendously. Thank goodness for modifications!!!

Unfortunately, knee braces, and even watching form and doing modified squats and lunges still makes my knees ache. I tried doing the plyo workout from P90X fairly recently and it gave me patellar tendonitis that took me about 5 weeks to recover from :(

I agree w/ both. Lunges/squats are the first to go when you have knee issues. Modifying help, but like Stacy said, there are plenty of low impact w/ lunges and squats out there. Would be nice if Cathe do something different...

I feel it too!

I have had knee issues all my life- from having had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was a toddler. Sometimes my knees feel good and I can go all out and sometimes I have problems and can't even do stairs without pain. I remember being so excited about Low Max, but when my knees are acting up that one hurts more than some of the jumping workouts!

That said- I really don't know how she would eliminate the impact but still keep the intensity without all the lunges and low moves. It is getting the lower body like that that brings the heart rate up. I struggle with ways to get that heart rate up without involving the knees to a degree that hurts them sometimes. It is no fair!

I'm still excited about these workouts and will just modify whenever I have to!

Well, at least I'm not alone in this :( I hear what you're saying about LowMax. I had the same experience. I was very excited to receive it, but I must say I dont reach for it often b/c all the squats/lunges off the step etc don't make my knees too happy afterwards :(

ITA! Those static lunges hurt my knees every single time. They have ever since I started exercising back 7-8 years ago.

I keep crossing my fingers for a Low Impact-Knee Friendly-Fairly Intense (I know I cant realistically expect super intense) workout!

I totally agree with you Stacy. I own every Cathe dvd, and have worked out exclusively to Cathe for the past 25 years. I do throw in a cardio machine every once in awhile at the gym. It's been almost 5 weeks since I had orthoscopic knee surgery, and I'm still struggling to complete any of the lower body workouts of Cathe's because of all the lunges & squats. I ended up purchasing Physique 57 and have been doing that workout for the past 3 weeks because there's no jumping or lunges. In the past, Cathe has been able to satisfy every one of my workout needs, but I am surprised in my recuperation of the lack of low/no impact that Cathe offers. I'm sure her new series is just what the doctor has ordered!!!

Mary

I totally agree with you Stacy. I own every Cathe dvd, and have worked out exclusively to Cathe for the past 25 years. I do throw in a cardio machine every once in awhile at the gym. It's been almost 5 weeks since I had orthoscopic knee surgery, and I'm still struggling to complete any of the lower body workouts of Cathe's because of all the lunges & squats. I ended up purchasing Physique 57 and have been doing that workout for the past 3 weeks because there's no jumping or lunges. In the past, Cathe has been able to satisfy every one of my workout needs, but I am surprised in my recuperation of the lack of low/no impact that Cathe offers. I'm sure her new series is just what the doctor has ordered!!!

Mary

Very surprising that even after just 5 weeks since surgery, I would not have guessed if someone who worked out with Cathe for 25 years would not have a least recovered a percentage of that within a few weeks, even if it's a low percentage.

I can tell you if you spend a week in the hospital flat on your back your muscles can atrophy quickly. In addition, your cardiovascular conditioning would weaken.

Since changing my routine to include rebounding on the mini trampoline, I have found and increase in my ability to do higher impact cardio on the floor. It was a major sticking point last year when I plateaued at a level where I could do many of Cathe's step routines but could not progress to plyometric exercises with any kind of endurance (exactly one legged hops Imax 2 and scissors, Imax 1, jogging etc.) I am hoping to try again with the above after I can accomplish a significant amount of Hi/Lo floor work.

I don't have any actual PT experiences or scientific data to relate, but I can tell you from practical experience, you may want to increase your cardio vascular endurance with something like swimming, bicycling, rebounding or the like, I think it's a key piece of rehab that squats & lunges can't give you, even if you are gaining strength with those leg exercises. I would imagine the barre work is really good too for rehab also, especially if it contains a lot of balance work.:)

Last edited:
Amen, amen! I've had surgery on both knees and they can't take Low Max no matter how much I feel like doing it; I always regret it afterwards.
I wonder how Cathe would keep up the intensity without all the squatting/lunging though?

Next to Basic Step, Body Fusion, & Low Impact Step, Low Max is the lowest impact step that Cathe has.

The Step Combo Premix option on the Low Max DVD is an excellent step up from those, assuming that you can do those without a problem.

If you want to get better at step & be able to do those routines, I suggest taking one and doing that one many times until the moves become reliable and you develop that confidence. I'm not talking days here, if you have weaknesses in and around the knee area, weeks & months. Alternating with total body strength workouts. Just like Cathe's beginner rotation is designed. That's what got me over the low impact limitations.:)

I know there are a ton of advanced exercisers out there that want low impact workouts, but if you cannot do any impact, squats, or lunges, then you really are not advanced in that area, you are a beginner in that area, no shame in that.

I think my biggest problem with my knee recuperation is the fear of pushing past my limitations, and I'm afraid I may re-injure my knee worse than before. Don't get me wrong, I am a high impact cardio junkie!! My 1st question to the doctor was when can I start jumping?? My younger sister just had both of her knees replaced in December, and I see how difficult recovery is for her. I don't want to further damage my knee in the process of taking on a deep lunge with weights before my knee can safely handle the proper move. I admit that I work past my pain level at times. This is something that I am constantly working on and telling myself it's time to stop when the burn becomes a pain. I did intensity yesterday for the 1st time since my surgery. There were adjustments that I made like lowering my step and being careful with the turns and jumps. Cathe's new series will hopefully accomodate us for so many different reasons. Mine being that I want and need intensity, but I don't always want & need impact!!

Mary

Mary,

I had Ortho done on both knees along with removing part of the meniscus on both knees as it was diseased and hardening. Low Max is a workout that I do NOT do the blasts on. Her premix for step-only is a lifesaver. It has taken me a full year post 2nd op to do what I was doing before- well at least 3/4 of it. I will always have issues with arthritis and the only thing you can do is work within your limits. If you can't squat or lunge, wear a weighted vest or belt, even just a 2-3 pound belt and it'll add enough intensity without adding a riser or doing low-ends. That way you can side step or do basic step patterns during the blasts and still kepp your HR up as well as your overall calorie burn closer to that of a higher impact workout.

Mrsprincess07,

Sorry to hear about your knee issues! A weighted vest is about the only piece of workout equipment that I don't own. It's something I have been thinking about purchasing for quite some time, and I'm sure it will definitely add a new challenge to my workouts. I think you made my mind up for me! I better buy the vest before the pre-order for the new series comes out. Maybe Cathe will be using a weighted vest in some of the new workouts. We can only hope. Thanks!

Mrsprincess07,

Sorry to hear about your knee issues! A weighted vest is about the only piece of workout equipment that I don't own. It's something I have been thinking about purchasing for quite some time, and I'm sure it will definitely add a new challenge to my workouts. I think you made my mind up for me! I better buy the vest before the pre-order for the new series comes out. Maybe Cathe will be using a weighted vest in some of the new workouts. We can only hope. Thanks!

I can empathize with the "knees" ladies - and am looking forward to the variety in Cathe's new Low Impact series :D

Not sure if you get the newsletter but here's a coupon code that came out this week for the "vest" - lucky you...
Featured Accessory

Use Coupon Code FP-15: This week's featured accessory is our Fitness by Cathe 12lb -20 LB. Adjustable MaX-Vest , but hurry this special is for a limited time only and will end on Sunday, April 17th. Use coupon code "FP-15" when prompted and save 15% off the regular price...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.