Cathe Imax 3 flooring ?

JAFitMama

Cathlete
Cathe I do all of your workouts on a carpet covered cement floor. There is only the regular padding from the carpet company. If IMaX3 has more jumping and impact than the previous
Iinterval Max workouts, should I be using a floor with additional padding? Is it safe to put puzzle mats over the carpeting? What do the educated crowd who are preserving thier joints recommend?
Judy
AKA "Likes2bfit"
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

http://groups.msn.com/CatheAddicts/jafitmamalikes2bfitfamily.msnw?Page=1

Iam interested in this as well - as that is the florring that I use. I workout in my garage - and have a carpet with the highest grade carpet padding under it. I have been considering adding some plywood under the base as well - as that is supposed to be a better shock asborber. I do have knee issues too - :( - too many years of basketball...

I am not Cathe but thought I would put my input in. I worked out in the basement with carpet/cment. My knees and hips were starting to really take a beating. I looked into all typed of flooring - Taraflex, Bouncee, etc. I finally decided I couldn't afford that route and went to Lowes and bought there puzzle mats. What a difference it has made. I made it really big and cut angles with a paring knife. Cost around $140. They are $17 for four 2' by 2' mats.

Dawn

I also swear by those puzzle mats esp for Hi/Lo, my left hip was starting to really bother me back in October and it actually prevented me from working out for 2 months until my hip felt better. I have been using my mats over carpet, I have wood subflooring and they work plus it's also great for when my girls practice their gymnastics at home.

I had worked out on basement cement floor with carpeting over it for about 4 months and really started to have chronic back and hip pain. About a month ago I ordered a 10 foot by 20 foot section of bouncee (also sold as Arobotile) from JP at ironcompany.com. I checked with about a dozen different distributors and he was the cheapest. The 10 X 20 amount cost about $1000 (may vary with shipping - that was with shipping from California to Pittsburgh). But - it is simply amazing. Back and hip aches stopped immediately. It locks together and functions like a wood floor with a floating subfloor. Truly wonderful. I jump around like a nut with those plyos and it feels like a cloud underneath.

Although $1000 may be pricey - you can move it whereever and whenever. My hub and I put it together in less than 30 minutes. It comes with nice finishing ramps. No glue - no mess. Comes in lots of colors but I went with cheapest - black. Each tile is 12 in by 12 in. and 3/4 in thick and each tile weighs about 1.75 pounds.

Hope somebody out there likes it as much as I do.

My boyfriend got me the puzzle flooring as well for christmas. It makes such a difference. Since it's on carpet we had to nail it down around the edges cause it was sliding. But the holes are so small you can't see them. I would get some, it really takes some stress off.

Hi Plyo...
I checked out the website you suggested. I also have hip pain and a knee that flares up from time to time. When you say you can move it wherever and whenever, how hard is that to do? Are you still working out on your basement floor? I have room in my basement to have an exercise area, but the cement floor has held me back. This sounds like it would be a great alternative. Currently I work out in my living room since it is a huge room. The largest drawback is toting all the equipment out and back up! If I thought purchased flooring would make a difference I'd move my space downstairs in an instant! Thanks for whatever info you can give me.

Shobbsie,

We put the Arobotile right on top of my basement cement floor. If you want to move it, find a helper and just push - i.e. it is heavy enough that once put together, it doesn't slide around, but if you get one person to help you - you can push (or pull) it - as a platform - whereever you want. If you don't like the size you have put together, just pull the pieces apart and re-configure. In about 30 minutes - I transformed my hard painted basement floor into a "professional" aerobics/plyo studio. The stuff only takes 35 pounds of pressure to push back and thus gives alot of comfort. I moved all my equip to this basement room and with a 10X20 area, I can leave my various steps put together and all my weights out and nobody minds. I got a tv/dvd/video all my own down there and I had my husband install 5 big mirrors on two intersecting walls (3ftX5ft were each $40 at home depot). So - even though it is still a basement (block walls and exposed heating ducts, etc.) it is my own studio. Hope this helps.

Yes you've helped tremendousy!! My husband just got a new pool table (cost twice the amount of your flooring) so.....I think I deserve a new floor!! Like your basement, the area I'm thinking of is not finished yet, but does have one daylight window and is studded in. I can live with that to not have my "mobile" gym. Thanks!

Dawn:

what is the exact name Lowes gives to these puzzle mats? What are they made of? Does this stuff slip about when you are working out on it (atep, hi-lo)?

Thanks

Clare

I have read that many people bought puzzlemats from great mats and were quite happy with them. When I look at their website they have different kinds of mats and I am not sure which one to get! Does anyone have suggestions?

Hi - I have bought pseudo puzzle mats from Costco - they are mats that interlock the same and are suggested for use under excercise equipment, etc.
I was wondering if anyone has trouble slipping on these. I think it makes a big big difference in the high impact (I have mine over my carpet over cement too), but when I try to do stretches or yoga my feet SLIP a lot!! Like wearing socks on a slippery floor.
Is this not a problem with the genuine puzzle mats?
Thanks!

Hi,
I bought a package of of 8 puzzlemats at Sams Club yesterday for $16. Each piece is so big that I'll need just one package to fill up my workout space.
Lorrie

I bought mine at Target. A 4-pack of 2' squares were less than $12. I think they are 1/2 inch thickness, but they don't have the nice edge pieces. Dicks Sporting Goods also had them in 3/8" and 1/2" thickness, with the finishing edges, but they cost more.

I purchased subflooring squares from Lowes for less than $6.00 each. They are almot two feet by two feet and click together with a rubber mallot. They have plastic runners that get the wood off the floor. I put my Puzzle mats on top.

I used to work out on a back porch (with cement flooring) and found
that stall mats for horses worked really well. I think I purchased 2 for about 45$ total in 2000 - I got them at a local farm supply - They were 4 feet by 8 feet, black rubber, and about an inch thick. Not pretty to look at and I wouldn't recommend them for placement on a "good" floor, (they leave black smudges)but for a cement basement garage or porch floor it was ideal - my knees were really starting to
bother me and the pain stopped completely within a week of installing the stall mats.

In another thread - someone mentioned getting matting from greatmats.com - I was checking out the pricing and not too bad. For 60' sq ft - 6 x 10 for example - it is $140 total with shipping. Now - a lot of the puzzle mats you purchase retail are just 1/2" in thick - these are 5/8" thick. So might be a bit more - but I am thinking my knees would really like that extra thickness... :)

Just thought I would pass that along....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.