Cathe, Help neck and traps too tight!

kittykat

Hi Cathe. I am currently doing your blast rotation and find that several hours after most of the weight work my neck and traps are getting so tight I can hardly turn my head, if I force it it goes snap, crackle, pop, especially after PUB. Is there a stretch you can reccomend to loosen this area up or what do you suggest? Thanks, Kitty

Hi Kitty! It sounds like your muscles have been introduced to new activities, perhaps too much all at once, and are in need of more recovery time between workouts (at least until your body becomes more acclimated to the routines).

So in addition to resting more between workouts, consider the following for your current stiffness.

a) warm bath with salt crystals
b) a couple of anti-inflammatory tablets
c) some light stretching to the neck and trap region.

Here are a couple of exercises.

Trapezius stretch:

Grasp wrist or hand from behind and pull arm to opposite side. Now tilt head away from lowered shoulder by positioning ear toward front of opposite shoulder. Hold stretch for 20 seconds. Repeat to other side.

Neck Stretch:

Take your left hand across the top of your head and rest it near your right ear. Gently pull your head toward your left shoulder and hold. Repeat on the other side. Then, lace your fingers behind your head and gently pull your chin toward your chest. Finally, move your hands down to the base of your skull and support your neck as you slowly look toward the ceiling.

Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.