For Cathe - Body Bar vs. Barbell?

IrmaRod

Hi Cathe,
I live in NYC so I have very limited closet space to keep my exercise equipment (or rather my husband limits me ;)
I have been using the bodybar wrapped at the ends with 2 sets of ankle weights with your exercises in Muscle Endurance.
1. Am I getting the same workout using the bodybar?
2. Do you think its safe?

I feel like the resistance is good although somedays I feel its lighter than others. What do you think?

P.S. I'm very shy to post but I just wanted to say that I'm SO grateful to you for producing advance workouts. I hate going to the gym and I've even purchased large mats to drag out to my living room and do your workouts (I have hardwood floors and neighbors downstairs}( ) Maintaining my weight and physical strength has been so important for me and without you this "shy-girl" from NYC wouldn't be able to run around this busy city! Thanks :7

Hi Irma! So nice to hear from you. Thanks for the sweet note too. As for the body bar vs the barbell. If you feel as if those ankle weights are TRULY TIGHT AND SECURE and you are not having to hold your body in any unatural way to compensate for the weights being attached, you are fine as long as that weight really challenges you. But eventually you will get so strong that it will be hard to continue to add ankle weights in this manner. At that point in time I encourage you to invest in a barbell. Actually an unloaded barbell and weight plates slide right under the bed and take up little space. Take Care!

I would just like to second Cathe's suggestion to invest in a barbell - you will not be sorry, it is a wonderful thing! My strength and endurance has skyrocketed since I started weight training with Cathe and I consider my barbell and step the 2 most worthwhile investments ever. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.