Cathe- Another question about eating

KC5689

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I was looking at previous posts where you gave some insight about your diet. You've said that you eat spelt and I was wondering if you just eat bread made with spelt or other products. And, if it is bread, how often and what serving size do you have.
Trina

I believe it is a whole grain like quinoa. I've seen quinoa at Whole Foods but they probably also have it at other health food stores.

>what's spelt?
It's an ancient grain related to wheat (but not hybridized like modern wheat, and lower in gluten).

Kathryn accurately described spelt. There are spelt breads (see French Meadow's website) & it can be used as a grain (eg a sub for brown rice). Uncooked it resembles wheat berries.

Quinoa is not a grain but it is used as a grain. It's actually a seed like wild rice. It's a good source of plant protein. I use it in grain salads, as a sub for rice & in soups.

Quinoa is easier to find compared to spelt & faster cooking. Trader Joe's carries it as do many grocery stores.

Debra

Look for quinoa in the organic or health food section of your grocery store, rather than with the other rices/grains. That's where I found it at my Safeway.

Beth L.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.