Carpal Tunnel and planks substitution help

jillybean

Cathlete
Hi Cathe. I love the I-Series! I was just diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and can't really do the straight armed planks at this point. I can do the bent arm (kind no problem, but was wondering if you could suggest another core strengthening exercise that doesn't involve supporting the body on the wrist. I have a stability ball and an 8# med ball if this helps. Thank you so much! Also, would doing straight armed planks with hands resting on dumbbells or push up handle bars be a good idea, or no? Thanks again!

Jilly Bean,
I've had problems with carpal tunnel in the past. I do my planks bent armed (as you mentioned). For straight arm work, I will do some planks like this (but push-ups put to much strain on my hands), but with a position modification: I keep my wrists straight (pressure on a bent wrist can aggravate the CTS) and splay my fingers, bending them at the joint closest to the hand (can you "see" this?). As I said, it works for some moves, but can be tough for a long period of time.

You could also try bent-arm planks with your arms on a stability ball. Move your arms forward and back in again while trying to remain stable.

I have carpal tunnel and have found that using push-up handle bars pretty much allows me to do these moves without irritation. I use them for planks and for push-ups, and the handlebars really help keep the wrist straight and minimizes strain. Of course, I also listen to my body and either skip pushups altogether, and keep planks on bent arms, when I'm having a bad wrist day!! Hope you find a solution that works for you! Carpal tunnel is no fun!:-(

Hi, I too have wrist issues and do plank and push-ups depending on how I'm feeling but one thing I do I learned in my martial arts class is to do my push-ups on my fists/knuckles, keeping the weight towards the first 2 fingers when you line up the whole arm muscle.
Traci'

I don't have CT, but I can't do pushups and the like because my wrist hurts way too much. I use pushup handlebars, or dumbells for straight arm planks, pikes, pushups, etc. Sometimes the stress of just holding onto the handlebar gives me pain in the back of my hand though, so be careful.

Andrea

:* :* :* :*

Jilly!!!!

I have some push-up handle bars I was thinking of giving them to the thrift shop. If you don't have some all ready they're YOURS!

Powers quote: "You look toight in those toight pants."

Julie :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.