cardio vs weights: which first

jgoycoolea

Cathlete
Cathe, I just received Cross Train Xpress and am really enjoying them. I was desperate for some new cardio! In these tapes, as in other of your tapes, you do cardio before weights. However, most other sources I read (primarily Weider publications) suggest weights before cardio. I was wondering what you have to say on this subject.

Also, I want to thank you for having put some of your material on Discovery Health. This was generous of you when it is your business to sell your routines!

Jeanne

I'm not Cathe but Cathe's method is definitely better ie cardio before weights - think of it this way - having fatigued the muscles with weight work, how can you then gear up for Cardio? With Cardio, you are primarily exercising the heart muscle (although typically your lower half to some extent) so you can then go on more easily to weight work.

Just my 2 pence (from a British Cathe fan !!)

I'm not Cathe but Cathe's method is definitely better ie cardio before weights - think of it this way - having fatigued the muscles with weight work, how can you then gear up for Cardio? With Cardio, you are primarily exercising the heart muscle (although typically your lower half to some extent) so you can then go on more easily to weight work.

Just my 2 pence (from a British Cathe fan !!)

Hi Jeanne! This has come up quite a bit in the past. My general feeling is that which ever is your primary focus, do first, since at this point, your mind and body are fully focused and non-fatigued.

I actually prefer weights before cardio (or, best, about 10-15 minutes of cardio, then weights, then more cardio). Heavy weight work, or endurance work like "Power Hour" definitely uses more energy than cardio (which is probably why one's metabolism stays up longer after a weight workout than after cardio). I did Power Hour yesterday, followed by a Powerstrike video (kickboxing). Now, I had to tone down some of the more aggressive kicking moves---cuz I was tired---but there's no way I could have done the reverse! I also have read that your body uses up glycogen (sugar/carbohydrate) stored in the liver after about 20-30 minutes, then starts burning more fat.
Like Cathe suggests, if you want to work on muscle building or strength, start with weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.