cardio vrs weight training while losing weight.

tboman

Hi Cathe and everyone else,
I am trying to lose about 15-20 lbs. Is it better to stick to cardio while in the process of losing weight. I do plan to strength train to keep the weight off eventually. IF I strength train I usually do MIS. I do have to ctx tapes that I do but not all in one week. Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Tracy

Hi, Tracy! I'm certainly not Cathe, but I would like to suggest you maintain a cardio AND strength-training program as you work to lose excess storage fat. Remember that muscle is metabolically active, "hungry" lean tissue, and more calories are used to maintain it. Also, remember that without strong muscles your cardio capabilities will be limited.

You may want to check some of the posts on the Ask Cathe and Open Discussion forums that discuss weight-loss rotations, using Cathe's and other videos.

If I may suggest: perhaps modify your goal to losing INCHES rather than SCALE WEIGHT. As you build lean muscle mass and lose excess storage fat, you will be doing yourself a double good, but the scale is only going to tell you that you haven't "lost a lot of weight". Also remember that the scale doesn't tell you the composition of the mass you've lost - thus is really isn't the best way to determine your progress.

Some real hummers of Cathe's, if you don't already have them, are Body Max and Interval Max. Check 'em out - don't you love how we spend your money for you?

Good luck on your fitness goals!

Annette

Cardio will help you lose weight, but. . .

weight training will tighten, tone, & firm up (not to mention help you lose inches and build stronger bones).

Fay

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.