Cardio or Strength training first??

JenW

If anyone cares to answer I would certainly appreciate it.

For maximum results should one perform a cardio session prior to strength training or visa versa? I am an early morning exerciser and typically do both weights and cardio on the same days, but have read contradictory information regarding which to perform first. I am really hitting my upper body hard with the weights trying to get greater definition and do not want to sabotage my efforts.

Your opinions are welcomed!

Jen,

From what I have read, you should do strength first if that is
your most important goal, and vice versa, since you will have more energy in the beginning. If I were you, I would do strength first since you really want to hit your upper body.
You may want to do strength first then cardio for a few weeks and then switch, just for variety. Honestly, I prefer to break it apart so that I can give both strength and cardio my all, but that is just me!!
Take care,
Cari

If I do cardio first then strength it works out better. My muscles are warm, my energy is up and my form is generally better for strength training. I just need that cardio pump, I supposed :)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-01 AT 08:04AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi I recently read in Self magazine that research shows that it really does not make a difference. Stick with what you like best.

Hi I recently read in Self magazine that research shows that it really does not make a difference. Stick with what you like best.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.