cardio kicks / kickboxing tape

zippy

Cathe: Thanks so much for replying to my other post, regarding my FAAAAAT arms!! You recommended a kickboxing tape. I tried Tae Bo one time and hated it so much that I couldn't even finish the tape and gave it away to my daughter. I read a lot of good things about Cardio Kicks on the Firm Fitness Forum, and I wondered if you would recommend it as a kickboxing tape with lots of punching to reduce or tighten my upper body? I really like the Cathe Friedrich tape I have (Get in Shape for Your Wedding) and I trust that the Cardio Kicks would also be good, I just want it to be suitable for my specific goal (upper body slimming) and MORE FUN than Tae Bo!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey Zippy,
I am a huge kickboxing fan and I have to say I have really toned my arms by doing Cathe's cardio kickboxing and also her kickboxing tape in the CTX series. You can't even compare Cathe's kickboxing tapes to Tae-bo. Cathe is much more careful about doing the movements safely. I do her kickboxing tapes at least twice a week, plus a lot of tricep dips and kickbacks. I know you would love these tapes. Amy Jo

I agree with Amy Jo. I wrenched my shoulder doing Tae Bo because the pace is ridiculous. Cathe's kickbox is awesome. The cardio is intense but I also feel like I am toning, perticularly the shoulders and core muscles.

Hi Zippy! :)

I've been doing cardio kicks for about 6 months now, and I completely give credit to this tape for the wonderful upper body tone and definition I've gained. While this tape does have some kicks, it is a tremendous amount of punching, especially during the drills portion of the tape where you focus specifically on punching. I've used this tape in combinition with Cathe's PS series, and have gained wonderful results!!! I'd highly recommend gettng CK. Thank goodness Cathe offers such outstanding quantity discounts in case your little heart desires to get CK and the PS Series!!

Happy Workouts!
Nicole :)

Hi,

I am not a kick-boxing expert, but I am trying to learn. I posted a topic on "Beginners Kickboxing Videos" in Videos Questions and Comments. I was looking into some introductory tapes to learn proper form so I won't get hurt trying to master the moves. As I understand it, Cathe's kick-boxing tapes are not for beginners - some knowledge of proper form is necessary. I have bought some tapes (Kathy Smith Kicboxing and Aerobox) in Firm Video Swap for $5 each. I am thinking I will not use these tapes for long before I can graduate to Cathe's tapes; therefore, I do not need to buy new ones. If you are interested in other comments in the topic, go to the link http://64.225.138.194/dcforum/VideoQC/1213.html. If I messed up the address, look for the topic above in Video Questions section.

Haslina

Hi Zippy! My kickbox tape starts out with a combination of choreographed movement that has the influence of kickbox and hi-lo cardio. A bit of space is required for this part, however, modifications for space can be made. Next up are the drills. This is my favorite part of the tape and the portion that I think will help you achieve your goals most specifically. The punches are hard and focused. Remember that you get out of it what you put in it but we, the video cast and myself, work hard to encourage you to give it your all.

Did Cardio Kicks today..

after not using it for awhile. Liked it better than ever!! I noticed, though: today is Sunday. Hubby always makes a egg, sausage, bagel--major breakfast on Sunday. I felt like I could do ANYTHING today--after eating some of that!!

Anyhow: can't go wrong with Cardio Kicks--just work to your level and improve from there!! Murph

RE: Did Cardio Kicks today..

I too have to agree with kickboxing as a way to tone up your arms - I have seen definite improvement in myself and plus on top of that, it's fun.

I just did this tape for the first time and my arms and shoulders have never been so sore! They're sore in a different way from what weights do to me - it feels like I've done a hard swimming workout or something. I was really surprised. Take it easy your first time so you don't end up as sore as I was!

Just adding my 2 cents worth:

I bought "Cardio Kicks/Circuit Max" on DVD exclusively for Cardio Kicks and I love it! It's so much fun! I knew that it was definitely more of a cardio workout than of a kickboxing workout and that's what I was after. (I wanted to add variety to my existing cardio from jogging, step aerobics and "Ropesport" rope jumping). There are kick box inspired moves like roundhouse kicks, jabs, hooks and upper cuts. Cathe tells you at the beginning that this workout isn't intended to improve fighting skills. You'll do jumping jacks, "jump ropes", power hops, knee smashes, grapevines, bob and weaves, scoops, speedbags, icebreakers, and of course lots of cardio kicks! I put some power in my snap and recoils on jabs and kicks and I get one heck of workout everytime. I wore my heart rate monitor one time to see how my heart rate fared and it remained around 80-85% of my maximum heart rate for the most part.
"Cardio Kicks" does use a lot of space but you can modify, like Cathe said. Luckily I have the space, but I've done it modified ( go for height instead of laterality and do big scoops or power hops in place to increase the intensity).
I also love that "Cardio Kicks" is 60 minutes long and I am drenched in sweat by the end. Great fat blasting workout for me!

Libra32

Thanks, Angela. I really should try "Circuit Max" since you and a few others have mentioned how good it is. (Plus,it's right there on the same DVD with "Cardio Kicks"!) I must admit---I've been doing my strength and cardio seperately. Thanks, again!

Yeah, I do strength and Cardio seperately, but on an inbetween day I'll toss in Circuit Max. It's a killer, but it's fun. It has a little HI/Lo, a little kick boxing (including a segment of step kickboxing that leaves me dying for more!) and step. And the weight work is not heavy (you could use lighter weights, too), or too concentrated. I really enjoy this one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.