Cardio kickboxing + Weight training

This is just a bit of a question on specifics. Normally my fitness routine consists of doing cardio kickboxing classes, followed by a visit to the weight room for more emphasis on muscle-building. I'm much stronger than I used to be, but I still have concerns about whether I'm doing something wrong. The most pressing concern is that most kickboxing classes have a cooldown section at the end of them, and I wonder if this part makes it harder to lift weights afterward, as well as whether I should skip the cooldown and lift the weights while my heart rate is still up, and then do my own cooldown. What is the best choice here?

This is just a bit of a question on specifics. Normally my fitness routine consists of doing cardio kickboxing classes, followed by a visit to the weight room for more emphasis on muscle-building. I'm much stronger than I used to be, but I still have concerns about whether I'm doing something wrong. The most pressing concern is that most kickboxing classes have a cooldown section at the end of them, and I wonder if this part makes it harder to lift weights afterward, as well as whether I should skip the cooldown and lift the weights while my heart rate is still up, and then do my own cooldown. What is the best choice here?

Not Cathe, but if I were in your situation I'd skip the class's cooldown, hit the weights immediately afterward and then do your own cooldown stretch. Your heart rate will not remain elevated for very long at all after the cessation of the cardio workout, but the circulation will stay nice and active for your weight routine. ERGO: I vote your Plan B.

A-Jock

I give you credit for doing weights AFTER kickboxing. I usually do just kickboxing because I go all out and am spent afterward.

I agree with Aquajock that I would skip the cooldown and don't let yourself cool down too much ( I heard that in at least one of Cathe's workouts:rolleyes:).

I think what would work for me best is to do some weights before class. Just an idea. Good luck and Happy Turkey Day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.