Carbo Question

OK, my mother and I have been argueing about this for the longest time, i think that a low carb, high protein, high fruit and veggie diet is the best, but my mother thinks that a high carbo, high protein, and high fruit and veggie diet is best. She is making me eat alot of carbo and i dont feel right eating all of it and she says that she wont change my diet until i get professional confirmation from you Cathe. And she wont listen to any of the Shape or Fitness or Self magazines even though they say my type of diet is best. Which is it or is it neither? thanx for your help.

P.S-we ABSOLUTLY LOOOOVVE your cardio kicks and interval max video, we got them about 2 1/2 weeks ago! :)

Would you tell us what issues of Shape, Fitness or Self advocated a low carb, high protein diet? I've read a lot of articles in those magazines that explain why a low carb, high protein diet is deficient in nutrients so I'm surprised that they'd then advocate such a diet. Fruits & vegetables are nearly pure carbohydrate so it would be tough to eat a lot of fruits & vegies & keep your carbs low.

When you say your Mom is making you eat alot of carbs, what type of food are you eating? As Debra said veggies and fruits are carbs but good carbs. What you should be avoiding is bad carbs (refined), ie: white pasta, rice & bread and sugar. I wouldn't say eat high anything but get a good combination of good carbs, protein and some fat. I can't think of what the % combination is (40/40/20). Maybe someone else does.

Sorry, but I'd tend to agree with your mother, but I'd change "high protein" to "moderate protein". I think that a balance of around 60 carbohydrates (from vegetables, whole grains, beans and fruits) 15-20% protein and around 20% fat is ideal. As others have noted, it's the type of carbohydrate that is the problem, not the fact that it is carbohydrate. I've seen high protein diets touted in magasines that are more for body builders (and that don't necessarily have the best lifestyles), but as others have noted, I believe Shape, Fit and Fitness all think the high protein diet phaze is a potentially dangerous fad (sure, you can lose weight on it, but at the cost of risking the health of your kidneys, liver and bones).

The important thing is your overall caloric intake as well as the types of carbs you eat. In fact, I was just reading about fat in the diet. American doctors tend to clump all fats together as bad when in fact eating mono and polys in place of refined carbs is better for you than a high refined carb, low fat diet. If you get carbs from whole grains and fruits and veggies in conjunction with a diet low in saturated and trans fats with a moderate intake of lean protein, you should be very healthy with a low risk of heart disease and cancer. Add exercise to the equation and it's all good, baby!

p.s. Protein is not a good fuel for the body. It is used to repair muscle among other things. Carbs and fat are much better energy sources than protein. High protein diets can be damaging to the kidneys.

Hi! Glad you are enjoying the videos. A nutritionally sound diet is 60% to 65% good carbs, not empty carbs, 15% to 20% protein (which equates to moderate, not high amounts)and 20% good fats, not bad fats. Hope this keeps you two from arguing ;-)!

>Hi! Glad you are enjoying
>the videos. A nutritionally
>sound diet is 60% to
>65% good carbs, not empty
>carbs, 15% to 20% protein
>(which equates to moderate, not
>high amounts)and 20% good fats,
>not bad fats. Hope
>this keeps you two from
>arguing ;-)!

Hi Cathe; could you or someone give some examples of good carbs?

"Good" carbs are those low on the glycemic index, generally not refined products.

Examples

beans
vegetables
fruits
oatmeal
brown rice
whole grain cereals (like Common Sense, Kashi, Fiber One)
sprouted grain breads (such as Eziekel - delicious!)
corn tortillas (not fried)

everyone is different, but for instance, I love a snack of a bowl of Fiber One or Common Sense Oat Bran with a half pint of fresh raspberries, blueberries or blackberries on it. Yum!

"Good" carbs are those low on the glycemic index, generally not refined products.

Examples

beans
vegetables
fruits
oatmeal
brown rice

everyone is different, but for instance, I love a snack of a bowl of Fiber One or Common Sense Oat Bran with a half pint of fresh raspberries, blueberries or blackberries on it. Yum!

Examples

beans
vegetables
fruits
oatmeal
brown rice

Hi. Geez, do I know what the confusion is about. We read so MUCH conflicting stories about carbs. Even dear Cathe, who once said she was eating similar to "zone" recommendations, is now in line with more ADA-type advice of 60-20-20.

AS FAR AS PASTA IS CONCERNED: I have read several sources (esp. Glycemic Index and Dr Weil) that say that the semolina wheat used in pasta (of ANY color) is a "good carb" because it takes the body a while to break it down and therefore ranks low on the insulin-triggering index of foods.

Any opinions on this?

LD

You should eat the amount of carbs that is right for YOU!! If your mom is eating a high-carb, high-protein, high-fruit and veggie diet, it is also likely that her diet is HIGH-CALORIE. Too high in calories as a matter of fact..

You sound like you are eating pretty good. Hi protein(not too high) and moderate carbs, assuming you are pigging out on fruits and veggies. If you feel good, I see no reason to wolf down the "denser" carbs you mother probably has you eating. Your mother is probably of the school of thought that the more carbs you have on hand to fuel your workouts, the less protein you will use for energy, and therefore the more amino acids you have to build new muscle tissue. Carbs are protein sparing, but that does not mean you need that many of them. More is not always better!!! Make sure that you include enough fruits in your diet as well though..it will be hard to hit your carb quotient on veggies alone!! Plus, don't forget about the beans!! They are an excellent carb source as well!! Good Luck!! Janice

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.