Can these calories burned be true?

tomschicadee2

I am starting to question my heart rate monitor. It takes my HR ok, but the calories burned is a different question. I worked out today at the gym. I did Nautilus for 45 min and according to my HR I burned around 450 cal. Then I jogged/walked for 15 min and used an elliptical for 30min.
My HR monitor said I burned 900 cal? Now granted this is great, but am I going to be fooling myself into thinking these calories are available for me to eat??
My hr was around 110-120 during the weight lifting. For cardio my HR was in between 149-166, Average HR was 153. I weigh 214 and I am 5'6 tall. Maybe its time for a new one? I'm just confused, I have never burned this many calories in 1.5hrs. Any help to my question is greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Erika

Hi Erika!

How long have you had your HR monitor? Is this calorie amount significantly different from your typical results for a similar workout? What brand is your HR monitor? If you've had it a while, it could just need a new battery.

Remember too that your age, weight and height all factor in to your caloric expenditure, as well as the intensity you put into it. I'm 5'4 and 124 pounds and I have to really work just to burn 500 calories! Usually a good steady state run, plus a fast walk will do it, but it takes me 1 1/2 hours! Since losing almost 30 pounds, I now have to work a lot harder to get the same caloric burn!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.