Calories burned

MasonK

Cathlete
Is there any way to determine how many calories I am burning at 5'5" and 128 pounds. I have gotten into a routine where I do the cardio portion of the wedding video (on the highest Reebok Step setting) on Mondays and Fridays, the strength portion of the wedding video with 4 pound weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Cardio Kicks on Wednesdays and a one hour Kickboxing class on Saturdays. Sundays is the strength portion of the wedding video again and my Reebok Step video with 1.5 pound wrist weights and the step set on high. I also walk 1.5 miles at a rate of 4 miles an hour at least 3 days a week. I am now 8 weeks into this routine (was all cardio until 2 weeks ago when I incorporated the strength portion)and I have lost NO weight! I do see some minor changes in my appearance, but no where near the results I would have hoped to see. My typical diet is a low fat high fiber oat bran muffin, salad or soup or a wrap sandwich for lunch, fruit, and dinner is either a lean cuisine (when my chef husband is working... sad isn't it?) with extra veggies or a salad, if the ubby is home it's usually a low-fat meal, fish, rice, veg and a sweet (low fat cookies or yogurt). On the weekends I will have a couple of alcoholic beverages (a glass of wine with dinner and maybe a seabreeze...)

Any advice. I realize that I may be building muscle -- therefore the scale will not be going down, but I feel better and look better closer to 120 pounds -- I have a small frame and am very "pear" shaped, so I really need to watch my figure as you all know where any weight shows up on someone like me!

Thanks,
K--

Hi MasonK,

I think as long as you look and feel better, I would not worry about what the scale says. The scale at my doctor's office (I don't have one at home) tells me that I've actually gained weight! But I'm wearing smaller clothes and I look and feel better also. Plus, friends and co-workers tell me I look like I've lost weight. The only other thing I can think of is to drink lots of water if you are not already doing so. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Seed. and I know about the water -- I drink LOADS of water every day!!!! I appreciate your input. K--

Just so you know where the advice is coming from, I am a personal trainer. Here is what I would suggest.

Increase your weights. Four pound dumbbells are fine for shoulder work but are not even remotely challenging for larger muscles groups such as the legs, back, and chest. You most likely lift garbage bags and laundry baskets that weigh more than that. You have to add muscle to make dramatic changes in the way your body looks and how your metabolism functions. Four pounds just isn't going to do it. Again this weight might be appropriate for shoulders and triceps at the present time but you should be striving to increase weight for the other body parts mentioned. Purchase eight, ten, and twelve pound dumbbells so you can get a very effective workout. You will know you need a heavier weight when the muscle is not uncomfortably fatigued at the end of the set.

Second forget the wrist weights for the step video. Research has shown that these only slightly increase the number of calories burned. They are associated with increases in potential injury. If you're adding them to up the intensity, it may be time to get a new Cathe video like Step Max or Step Jam.

Third, you need one day off a week where you do nothing at all or incorporate mild stretches into your routine. If you are doing cardio or weights every day of the week, your body cannot recover properly. Which brings me to my next point about calorie expenditure. The amount we burn during a workout is not what is truly important. It's in the recovery phase when our body goes through physiological improvements that counts. Our muscles get stronger, increase endurance, burn fat more efficiently, have improved blood flow, utilize sugar more efficiently (we become more sensirive to the effects of insulin), etc. We need recovery to make this happen. Sometimes less is more in exercise. You may need to work out less frequently but more intensely to get the results you want.

Hope you find something here that helps. Best wishes, cyndie

Thank you much. Very insightful. Perhaps this is why I often have been feeling incredibly exhausted - when all along I thought exercising would be giving me MORE energy! I'll look to increase the weighs for the strength video and get rid of the wrist weights w/Step.

Thanks again.
K--

I'm not a personal trainer, but agree with the great advice Cyndie has offered. I'd like to add one more thing. I too have the Reebok step so I know that the highest setting is 10 inches. In a past post by Cathe she states clearly that the highest step height to use to ensure safety is 8 inches. She also states that she occassionally will drop down to 6 inches because it allows her to do each move to its highest intensity giving even a better workout without sacrificing safety. Do you have any other of Cathe's step tapes? If not I also recommending something more intense than Reebok's. Of Reebok's step tapes I recommend the interval tape it can be purchased at Target for about $10 or so. Are you interested in putting together any rotations with all of your tapes??

:) Stacy

Stacy--
I'm glad to see you posted about the step height! I was just about to do the same. 10 inches is too high!
:) Wendy

Hello. Was away for a 4 day weekend and just saw your new postings. Thanks for that re: the step height. I just automatically assumed I would get a better workout at the highest setting. The only Cathe tapes I have are the wedding video and SetpFit. StepFit I find a bit choreographically (??) challenging (i.e.: I'm not that coordinated). I am planning on giving it another go, but haven't had the time as yet. I would be interested in rotation, but I am so new to this that I don't know where to start. You saw what I am doing now, and when I'm away - as I was this weekend, I work in a few jogs (5 miles on Friday and Saturday, Sunday off). Also, I have been experiencing VERY sore knees! Do you think this is more attributed to the step height or perhaps to kick-boxing? I have never had any problems in the past, but I am now - not DURING my workout - but afterward. Any advice? Kathleen

I would say the knee pain would be more from running or the step height than from kickboxing, but that's just my opinion. I'd see a doctor to be on the safe side as to not worsen a mild injury.

Stacy

Wanted to respond to your post about sore knees. I have taught kickboxing for about two years now and know that a lot of times people start to experience knee pain. The problem comes from two things--not pivoting or placing the standing leg foot properly on kicks and having inflexible hip joints. Kickboxing is great but everyone doing it really needs to keep the hips very flexible so as not to strain the knees or the lower back. How did you learn proper form?

You also might have a tight IT-band which runs along your outer thigh. This can come from running and from having your step too high--I just read up on it in one of my personal training manuals. It's always a good idea to have a doctor evaluate IF that doctor is a knowledgeable sports medicine/orthopedic surgeon. I have illustrations of IT band stretches if you want me to send them to you. If so email me with your [email protected]

Best wishes, Cyncie

Thank you so much for the input. I beleive I am doing Kick-boxing properly. I have been taught by a professional -- and not simply from videos -- so I have had someone seeing my form one on one. I have however, lowered my step height and the difference is amazing! I guess it was just too much at the 10 inch setting. I have been using it now on the middle setting (Reebok Step) and concentrating more on form and intensity and wow -- what a difference. I still sweat and get a great workout, but my knees are soo much better! I do appreciate yours and everyones' feedback -- this site really helps -- Also, can you recommend which organization you feel is best if I want to go forward toward getting certified as a fitness instructor? I want to work toward that goal and would appreciate your feedback. I am planning on moving to the U.K. in a years' time so would like the best organization for recognition worldwide.

Thanks. K-- ([email protected] is my e-mail address if you would rather respond out of this forum)

I am not sure what aerobics organization is most recognized internationally. I am certified as a personal trainer through ACE--American Council on Exercise and as an aerobics instructor through AFAA--American Fitness and Aerobics Association. I think AFAA may be better for aerobics but I can't say for certain. Both are widely recognized in the US. If you have the opportunity to phone any gyms in England and get a little feedback, I would do that. I wish you a lot of luck. Teaching classes is one of the biggest joys in my life. Hopefully it will bring you the same happiness. Good luck! Cyndie

about knee pain

I'm not a fitness instructor and am certified regarding nothing of relevance here, however...

I really caution care with your knees and joints. I think people often intuitively know what exercise or movement is bothering them but they don't allow themselves to consciously become aware of it.

Wear the best aerobic shoes possible. This is not a place to cut corners financially.

Vary your routine. I adore step, and I do many different step tapes. Cathe, but also CIA, Kari, Christi etc.

I also do hi low, kickboxing and some bicyling. I try not to do the same type of work out two days in a row. I do different kinds of strength training including core work. And I stretch.

Something what begins as a mild awareness/slight soreness, is a precursor and a signal to more serious injury. Be aware of it.

I think its espcially important for a home exerciser to use caution. There's no one to show you corrections, etc. so you need to be your own trainer and guardian.

And geeze, get yourself some more tapes. I'd be going crazy if I were just using two tapes!

Jane C.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.