Calorie Intake During Active Rest Week

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
I posted this question on the Open Discussion too, but if Cathe (or anyone) can give me some feedback it will be much appreciated!

I'm nearing my active rest week on STS; currently, I do about 5-6 days of cardio and 3 days STS. To lose weight, my calorie intake is around 2000 cals. I'm planning on doing some moderate cardio 5 days during my active rest week, maybe throw in an IMAX but nothing near what I've been doing on STS. My question is, since I'm scaling back on the workouts, should I cut my cals? Or keep them the same since I will resume the next week on the "normal" schedule? I don't want my body to go into starvation mode (obviously) but I also don't want to be eating too much.

Not Cathe, but based on my experience...

Hi there,

Not Cathe obviously...

Just based on my experience over the 9 months that I did STS, I was not as hungry during the rest week so I just naturally ate less than what I had been eating during the STS workout days. Perhaps you could set your normal meal plan and see how you react. Perhaps you will notice that towards the end of the day you are less hungry. Basically, I just listened to my body and fed it when it was hungry.

For now, I am not doing STS, but a whole different routine for a separate goal. My eating/body fueling strategy has changed based upon the workout schedule and what I need to eat to support the workouts. On days off, I eliminate my protein shakes and I get to do a splurge. The definition of splurge, however, is a bit different from what most peopl consider a splurge. I get to eat an extra piece of fruit or do my favorite whole wheat toast with olive oil combo! Normally I would not have that. Woo hoo - I'm going wild! ;)

Hope that helps! I'd be curious to see what the other STSers did. I know I was HUNGRY during training days!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.