Cable work for shoulders

pjdavis

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I'm always impressed with how great your arms look! Do you do any cable exercises for your shoulders? Is it possible to use the exercise bands to simulate cable work? I just feel like I don't have mine as developed as I'd like. thanks!

Pam

Shoulder Work

Thank You Pam! Yes, I use the cables for shoulder work too. I mix it up, sometimes dumbells, sometimes cable work, and sometimes a combo of both...even some machines here and there too.

I assume since you are asking that you have access to a gym. If so, some of my favorite shoulder exercises with cables are side lateral raises (one arm at a time) , straight bar front raise (both arms pulling together), straight bar pull down for the rear delts (also hits back and triceps).

Cables give nice variety to the program because the resistance is applied both directions, just as when using bands. If you are able to anchor your band in a doorway as well as tie it around a pole you should be able to do these exercises and get the same benefits (so long as you have the right resistance on your band). I find tubing with handles on the ends works very nicely with shoulder exercises.

Have Fun!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.